Dry aged pork loin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniele96

Reaction score
Dry aged pork loin salami is prepared with red wine and mountain herbs. Then is dried for 10 days in a 20ºC room and then aged in a cave with 9ºC.
20180822_003732.jpeg
20180822_003728.jpeg
20180822_003724.jpeg

Thanks for posting, we can get pork loin pretty cheap over here, I might try it.
Edit:
I just did some reading about this and using higher quality heritage pork is recommenced since the flavors of the meat are magnified.
Also, recipes I've found say to add the spices, put it in the refrigerator for 12 days, then hang in a "cool place" for 12 more days.
https://honest-food.net/gird-your-loins-lonzino/

How long is it cave aged?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, we can get pork loin pretty cheap over here, I might try it.
Edit:
I just did some reading about this and using higher quality heritage pork is recommenced since the flavors of the meat are magnified.
Also, recipes I've found say to add the spices, put it in the refrigerator for 12 days, then hang in a "cool place" for 12 more days.

2/3 months

Edit:

I used an Italian cattle of pig: "Maialino Nero di Cavour" (Cavour black pig). It is feed with acorns and hazelnut.

Yummy!

Only non-Americans appreciate that! ;)
Why only non-Americans? Last year some cousins of mine came from USA (their grandparents moved from Italy in the 1896 because of the crisis of wine due to phylloxera) and when they come back after holiday they brought with them about 9 pieces of this dry aged loin. Also some turist from Canada that were in the hotel of my grandmother's cousin appreciated it.

Why only non-Americans? Last year some cousins of mine came from USA (their grandparents moved from Italy in the 1896 because of the crisis of wine due to phylloxera) and when they come back after holiday they brought with them about 9 pieces of this dry aged loin. Also some turist from Canada that were in the hotel of my grandmother's cousin appreciated it.
I was mocking "Americans" and their general fear of "raw" meats.

Many, perhaps most, Americans won't eat pork that hasn't been cooked to death, let stand anything that resembles a nice cut of pork that's raw, or even cured, like yours. Alas, they'll eat Prosciutto, Soppressata, and other cured pork products, as long as it doesn't look like pork. Ham may be an exception, but they tend to overcook it too.

Many, perhaps most, Americans won't eat pork that hasn't been cooked to death, let stand anything that resembles a nice cut of pork that's raw, or even cured, like yours. Alas, they'll eat Prosciutto, Soppressata, and other cured pork products, as long as it doesn't look like pork. Ham may be an exception, but they tend to overcook it too.
That's a pity. These recipes for "raw" meat are fantastic. Also the other with beef dried meat or venison dried meat and salami.

To be fair there is something scary about eating uncooked meat that's been hanging at room temperature for a month and covered in mold. Home made dry-cures look a bit different to the generic supermarket stuff.

haha, true. I do pork loin in the sous vide, and it's pink the middle. Super tender and awesome, but you should see the faces at the dinner table :) I made 3 of them a few weeks ago and the meat was awesome and enjoyed by all. Sous vide at 145F.

Anyway, thanks to Danielle96. I'm going to do this in the cold season. That's when I hang and cure meats. Where I live, the cold season lasts about 2 weeks :)

haha, true. I do pork loin in the sous vide, and it's pink the middle. Super tender and awesome, but you should see the faces at the dinner table :) I made 3 of them a few weeks ago and the meat was awesome and enjoyed by all. Sous vide at 145F.

Anyway, thanks to Danielle96. I'm going to do this in the cold season. That's when I hang and cure meats. Where I live, the cold season lasts about 2 weeks :)
If you want you can also try to make motzetta de buchin which is a dryed beef thigh with species...

You need a YouTube video showing us how it done start to Finnish
I have a YouTube channel but I don't share the recipes and the processes I use because it's quite difficult film everything while I am doing salami

Another recipe with raw pig meat. Pig fillet dry aged with salt, pever and washed with red wine

Back