:drunk:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Ok,

Guess what! I started to bottle and in the mid process I've been struck by 'the fact that I forgot to add dextrose to the wort for refermentation in the bottle!!' For sure I'm not the only human which forgot this one day... Fortunately, I use swing top bottles. So I added a few drops of maple syrup in each bottle already bottled. I hope it will be enough but not to much! Will see. For the rest, the dextrose as been added as usual, before to bottling process.

2 Questions.

1. Do you think I should have let this like that, no sugar in the bottle and maybe one day it should have make some gaz btw?

2. How to add dextrose to the wort when using only primary fermenter. (this time I was using a second) But All the yeast cake remaining in the only fermenter would make a really unclear beer when gently stiring to ensure the dextrose dissolution? :confused:

thanks guys!

:mug:

MAD

MAD,
With only a few drops of maple syrup in each bottle, you might not get the level of carbonation you want. To answer your questions,

1. Once the fermentable sugars are gone, that's it, so no, it won't one day make CO2.
2. If you add priming sugar in the primary, you run the risk of mixing up the trub, creating a really cloudy beer in your bottles. Better to rack off the the trub into a bottling bucket with a spigot and mix with your priming sugar there. Result: clearer beer with a better controlled prime that's easier to bottle.

1) no - it won't make any CO² on it's own without additional sugar
2) adding priming sugar to your primary only stirs up the trub - if you are unable to rack to another bucket (or whatever) I'd suggest adding the priming sugar to each bottle individually, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon per 12oz bottle, depending on how carbonated you like your beer

I agree with slym2none...if you don't have another bucket, you can bottle prime as he suggests, then use a racking cane to bottle. In either case, try not to disturb the trub (the gunk at the bottom of the fermenter) when moving/bottling your beer. Either way works fine, and comes down to personal preference and availability of equipment.
:mug:

Great! :) I'll go get a bottling bucket then! The only time I tried Solo fermenter technic, I wasted my beer because of a contamination... malolactic I dont remember the name (found a Fly in my bucket) So I thought it's been caused by the to large head space in the fermenter for the 3 weeks ferm period. I'll retry it then! So F#$%K the glass carboy! :)

Thanks guys!

Back