Drum / paint mixer used in BIAB system ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyOz

Reaction score
Has anyone used an electric paint mixer or drum mixer in their BIAB
system ? Wondering if this increased brewhouse efficiency ?
Eg in the Colorado Down Under 100 gal system .
Thanks

No, but like you I started a similar thread. Only response I got was that sounds like a good idea. I think my thinking was a wine whip to stir the mash. Hope this thread brings more light to this idea.

I'd be concerned that the paint mixer would catch the bag and twist it up. But if you could run it very slowly, it would probably work like a champ.

Make one that rotates back and forth, sort of like a washer agitator.

I should have said BIAB using a SS mesh basket or solid side mesh bottom basket.

I recall it being done, I believe with a modified ice cream maker acting as a mash stirrer.

IMO I doubt the end result is much benefit, a spoon or mash paddle is cheap and works pretty darn well to stir the mash.

Perhaps at 110 gallon system, but then again I’ve been to several micro breweries that used a 6-8 foot wooden paddle to mash in...

I bought a huge French Whip at a kitchen store for like $20 or so. Dough balls don't stand a chance. It's been a really good tool.

I recall it being done, I believe with a modified ice cream maker acting as a mash stirrer.

IMO I doubt the end result is much benefit, a spoon or mash paddle is cheap and works pretty darn well to stir the mash.

Perhaps at 110 gallon system, but then again I’ve been to several micro breweries that used a 6-8 foot wooden paddle to mash in...
I think the benefit lies not in gravity or flavor (although, depending on brew rig, personal strength, brewing skill, etc..could gravity be increased? Idk), but in less energy and a quality job done. I saw a wine whip going and it looked very good and easy at stirring. Not sure what I was looking for before but for a quick mash I do a lot of stirring at beginning and end and this clever idea would make that easier. I need to go back through my notes to see what my intention was before. I use a cheap plastic Mash paddle, the ubiquitous white one with a head shaped like a long trapezoid. I anchor the top and whip the bottom back and forth. It works really well, that technique it does. I am also pretty big so this idea might help someone smaller, idk.

Has anyone used an electric paint mixer or drum mixer in their BIAB
system ? Wondering if this increased brewhouse efficiency ?

Eg in the Colorado Down Under 100 gal system .
Thanks

If you are having trouble breaking up dough balls this would help brewhouse efficiency but otherwise I doubt it would have much effect except you won't get the bulging arm muscles from stirring.

Back