Dru hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I'm doing a recipe that calls for a dry hop addition on the 5th day. We'll I've done many dry hop recipes but they've always been on the 7th day and the fermentation was not active. Well I'm on the fifth day and it's still pretty active. It bubbles 4-5 times per minute. Is it OK to add the hops??????

Pull a gravity sample, it may be done and just offgassing as its floccing..the continued offgassing, if its steady will drive off some of your dryhop aromas, if its a shtt-ton of hops go for it.. I am in the camp of bubbles or not, i want to be at least 75-80% to my FG before I dryhop regardless of time.. some yeasts work fast and diligent some are lazy like the american populous. I got the % range from someone here long time ago..there may be other opines..plenty of them here if you do some diggin.

Sure, it's OK. It would be better to wait until fermentation is complete and the yeast has cleared a bit, though, just so you don't sacrifice losing any of the aromatics you are trying to put in there with the dry hop - both from CO2 driving the aroma out and from some sticking to the yeast as it flocs. It sounds like the activity is pretty slow right now, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you added the hops today, but I would wait, myself.

Back