dropping lager temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelinhoppy

Reaction score
I have a keezer set up mainly because I wanted to lager beer and I always hated knowing there was undrinkable beer at the bottom of my glass so i went the kegging route. I was wondering when you start dropping the fermentation temp one to two degrees per day (which is what i was told) do you start that process in you kegerator? Or is there another method used. That would mean I'd be drinking 50 degree beer that is already kegged. Dome question maybe but i learn better hearing peoples opinion in lamens rather then a book

I do it during fermentation in a temperature controlled fermentation chamber(freezer). For me, when the fermentation is complete, I start lowering the temp until i have it down at 33 degrees and I let it lager for one month(If I am not out of beer). Then I transfer to my kegs and put in my kegerators on gas and let the beer warm up to the kegerators temp. I hope that this helps.

I do it during fermentation in a temperature controlled fermentation chamber(freezer). For me, when the fermentation is complete, I start lowering the temp until i have it down at 33 degrees and I let it lager for one month(If I am not out of beer). Then I transfer to my kegs and put in my kegerators on gas and let the beer warm up to the kegerators temp. I hope that this helps.

I got ya. My freezer is my kegerator that's the only thing I really have to control the temp so I didn't. Want to have the temp of my kegged beer go up. Feeling the pressure to buy another freezer just for lagering

feelinhoppy said:
I got ya. My freezer is my kegerator that's the only thing I really have to control the temp so I didn't. Want to have the temp of my kegged beer go up. Feeling the pressure to buy another freezer just for lagering

I have a fridge for a kegger. I recently set up my second chest freezer for fermenting. Yesterday, I brewed my first lager and it is awesome to have a dedicated place for it.

I have a fridge for a kegger. I recently set up my second chest freezer for fermenting. Yesterday, I brewed my first lager and it is awesome to have a dedicated place for it.

I hear ya. I'm only a year into brewing and I keep wanting to add and add to my hobby for better brewing

feelinhoppy said:
I hear ya. I'm only a year into brewing and I keep wanting to add and add to my hobby for better brewing

Keep on the lookout. I actually got both my freezers for free. Some people consider hauling them away payment enough. Good luck with the lager. Mine is a Czech made with 100% snow melt.

my best results have come from lagering uncarbed in the keg 4-8 weeks (depending on OG), then i hook it up to the gas and give it another 4 weeks. I bring it from d-rest temp to lagering temps overnight.

If you can be patient, get yourself an upright freezer and an temp controller with a temp sensor. I now brew in a SS keg converted to a fermenter and do 15 gallon batches. There's no way I could ever lift into a chest freezer. Just dont' get a freezer where the shelves themselves are the cooling units.

Back