Drop in keg pressure during carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merff

Reaction score
New to kegging and have a question about keg pressure dropping. I set the regulator at 12 psi but the pressure drops down to 7 or 8 psi over the course of 8 hours or so as the CO2 absorbs. Do I need to increase the pressure on the regulator each time it drops? Any advice is much appreciated.

New to kegging and have a question about keg pressure dropping. I set the regulator at 12 psi but the pressure drops down to 7 or 8 psi over the course of 8 hours or so as the CO2 absorbs. Do I need to increase the pressure on the regulator each time it drops? Any advice is much appreciated.
You need to keep the CO2 connected to the keg so it keeps the beer under 12 psi as it absorbs CO2.

Thanks for the response. The CO2 is connected to the keg but the pressure keeps dropping.

Thanks for the response. The CO2 is connected to the keg but the pressure keeps dropping.
Sounds like you might have a leak somewhere (or your CO2 tank is almost empty- actually both is most likely). It should hold steady

Could also be a malfunctioning regulator. With the CO2 valve open on the tank, and the regulator set, and connected to the keg, pressure should hold steady. If it doesn't something is wrong.

Brew on :mug:

Could also be that the regulator was set when the keg was at a higher pressure. After it drops if you set it back up to 12 it should stay there as long as you don't warm it up and drive dissolved carbon dioxide out of solution.

Back