Drom John Hibiscus Mango Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Partial Something
Batch size: 5.25 gallons

3.25 lb 2-Row (Briess Organic)
1.125 lb C-20L (Briess Organic)
0.75 lb Bonlander Munich (Briess Organic)
45 minute steep 151F

60 minute boil
3.15 lb Light LME (Briess Organic)
0.75 oz Galena (60 min)
0.375 oz Cascade (30 min)
0.25 oz Cascade (5 min)
American Ale Safale US-05

1 week primary

3 week secondary on top of
22.4 oz mango puree
13.3 oz dried hibiscus flowers (removed after 3 days)

2 weeks bottle conditioned

First taste: 13 August 2016

SWMBO choice discovered on Pinterest. The click through went to a Joe Strange Zymurgy recipe. My variation is an LME something conversion, rounding up the 2-Row and the C-20L to the ounce, and using frozen mango puree.

Drom John Hibiscus Mango Blonde.png

Awesome! I'm planning on brewing a hibiscus + passion fruit saison on Friday. I'll be adding:

* 3oz dried hibiscus flowers @ 5 min
* 28 oz passion fruit puree at secondary
* 6 oz dried hibiscus flowers steeped in 6 cups of water to create a tea, which is added to secondary.

I plan on having a 2 week secondary fermentation.

Good luck with yours!

More like hibiscus tea than an ale. Almost Beaujolais red. Drinkable.
If rebrewed, then I would reduce the hibiscus to 8 oz (normal package size) and increase the mango puree to 25.6 oz (an eighth package).

When I do "agua de Jamaica" I cool-infusion 15gr of hibiscus per liter (~2oz/gallon) during 10h and I get quite a strong taste.

I think even 8oz/5.25gallon (~1.25 oz/gallon) is quite a high concentration of hibiscus, if you don't want the flavour to overwhelm the beer. I would suggest less than 1oz/gallon to start.

TandemTails, I would suggest flame off instead of 5' for your boil addition to minimize tannin extraction.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back