Drip tray attached to front of keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bommarkm

Reaction score
I am currently working on a collar for my keezer and would like to attached a drip tray to the front. I am a chick and have limited experience with DIY projects and power tools. I am pretty excited that I am even building the collar on my own.
How did you guys attached your drip tray to the front of the keezer? Not sure how to so this without drilling holes into the front.

Thanks!
Kerry

Heavy duty double sized adhesive tape for the brackets to the freezer...regular one side adhesive velcro to hold the drip tray to brackets.

Thanks for the suggestions. These are great. I didn't even think about the fact that I would want to remove it to clean it.

Wouldn't it be better to glue the magnets to the drip tray rather than the freezer?

On the setup I used in college we ended up putting magnets on both the tray and the freezer. Reason being after about an hour of drinking the tray would slide down to the floor or just tip off the front. We figured it was because the metal on the freezer was to thin. If the magnets you glue to the tray are powerful enough I don't see why that would be good enough. All we had were the ones the physics labs had in them.

I attached mine with magnets as well. My drip catcher is made from a 2" PVC elbow and an inverted 3" PVC cap. Works like a charm.

I roughed up the paint on the side of the freezer and used Gorilla glue to attach a piece of wood to it. The drip tray is held to the wood with two stainless steel screws. The drip tray backsplash has slotted holes at the top designed for just this purpose. The tray can easily be removed for cleaning by unhooking it from the screws. This isn't a very good pic, but you can see the wooden piece and part of the drip tray:

4187313347_c089ea8e64_z.jpg

If you can build a collar you can build this. Hasn't missed a beat since I installed it and its sOOOO easy to clean.

Basically Its just a tiny version of your collar with in inside beading so you can insert a cut up roasting tray. The roasting tray sits in and I found the plastic shelf at a $2 shop up the road that gave me all my dimensions. As you can see it fits four taps. Both bits come out for easy cleaning and no need to drill into your freezer.

DSCF3364.jpg

DSCF3367-1.jpg

DSCF2834.jpg

DSCF2844.jpg

DSCF2835.jpg

DSCF2846.jpg

i used 3M automotive double sided tape i have lieing around. You could put a full pitcher on them. The key is putting the strips in the vertical direction.

I read somewhere that the magnets in computer hard drives work like a charm. Glue 4 to the tray and those puppies should hold even with a full beer or two on it.

I read somewhere that the magnets in computer hard drives work like a charm. Glue 4 to the tray and those puppies should hold even with a full beer or two on it.

i would ahve to agree. i used to hold a cap catcher on with one of those magnets and i would have to slide the whole catcher off the side of the kegerator to remove it. strong stuff.

Wouldn't it be better to glue the magnets to the drip tray rather than the freezer?

Magnets work well already on the pan but struggle to hold strong to the refrigerator. That's why you might want to glue to the fridge.

Two L-brackets with magnets glued to them, wrapped in electrical tape to help with adhesion to the freezer. Velcro attaches the drip tray to the brackets. Holds 3 full pints with no issues and I can take it off easily.

Dragging up an old thread, I know...

Heavy duty double sized adhesive tape for the brackets to the freezer...regular one side adhesive velcro to hold the drip tray to brackets.

I used 3M heavy duty outdoor mounting tape on two L brackets, rated for far more weight than the driptray even with a full beer sitting on it, but after a couple of weeks they just fell right off, sending the drip try to the floor with a loud bang.

My keezer does have a slightly textured surface (which is why magnets don't work, they just slide right down as they don't get enough grip), and I did notice that the keezer gets very warm right in the area where the brackets are mounted (coolant lines?). The tape is meant to be used outdoors, but perhaps that close / direct heating is affecting the adhesion?

I'm wondering if I scuff the keezer surface under the brackets with some sandpaper before trying the tape again, if that might help...? (That will, of course, permanently mar the surface.)

Or maybe I should give up on the idea of the mounting tape and go with glue or epoxy instead (with or without scuffing)?

I agree that ease of cleaning is a must. I used a couple pine bookshelf brackets painted white and held in place with white 100% silicone. I just taped them in place till the silicone cured. A strip of velcro on top of each holds the drip tray in place until I want to clean it. This has worked out perfectly for me. You can see it by following the link in my signature if you like.

Good luck!

I can't call off a commercial brand, but we use a lot of 3M products at work, and I have used some "out of date" product on some of my projects.
You don't really want a "quick curing" type, better a 12 -24 hour cure, and urethane epoxies work about the best, I M O.

I wish I would've thought I'd this when I built mine, but you can get magnets that look like arrows and are ninety degree angles at the point.

I've used them for welding projects. They have plenty of holding strength.

I can't call off a commercial brand, but we use a lot of 3M products at work, and I have used some "out of date" product on some of my projects.
You don't really want a "quick curing" type, better a 12 -24 hour cure, and urethane epoxies work about the best, I M O.

Cool, thanks! I'll take a trip to the hardware store one night this week to look for some; I'd like to get this mounted before Thanksgiving.

Brackets were epoxied to freezer. They can be removed if needed.
You mean the brackets can be removed, even epoxied?

I wish I would've thought I'd this when I built mine, but you can get magnets that look like arrows and are ninety degree angles at the point. I've used them for welding projects. They have plenty of holding strength.
Those were the first thing I tried, but because my chest freezer has a textured surface they couldn't grip well enough. Even rare earth magnets slide down if you put any significant weight on them. :(

Back