Drink or cellar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankiesurf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found this dusty bottle at a beer distributor that I have never been to before. He had just found it and put it on the shelf. Should I drink it or hold on to it?

The decision is killing me please help.

20131111_073059.jpg

I would probably hold on to it a bit longer. At two years old it will certainly be great, but I bet it peaks around the 4 to 5 year point.

Out of sight, out of mind. Send yourself one of those time capsule emails to remind yourself and then hide it.

I don't always prefer an aged beer to a relatively young beer (1-2 years), but in this case I think you really ought to hold off. I've had RIS's and barlewines that were actually very tasty after only 1 year and the ROI on waiting didn't seem that great. But this one just calls out for cellaring.

You should try to get some bottles each year for the next couple of years and then have a vertical tasting one night with friends. That way you can directly compare how the younger bottles taste compared to the older bottles.

Latest posts

Back