Drilling through Stainless Steel= Lots of fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrainToGlass

Reaction score
Man! The Megapot wall is pretty resilient. For some reason it took me over an hour to get a good sized pilot hole drilled through the stubborn stainless steel. Once I finally got through, the step bit ate through like butter and installation went smoothly.

Can't wait to start whirlpooling! :ban:

Cobalt bit + cutting oil makes it a lot faster. What did you use?

Looks like you got a clean hole.

Cobalt bit + cutting oil makes it a lot faster. What did you use?

Looks like you got a clean hole.

I used a Cobalt bit and some cutting oil. I think my main problem was not using enough pressure for the pilot. I also started with a 1/8" bit and the angle of the cutting edge couldn't reach the wall. The tip was just spinning and not cutting anything. So I went to Lowes and picked up the smallest drill bit they had for stainless. It took some time, but it drilled through which allowed the 1/8" bit a good hole to bite and drill through. After that, the step bit came in and handled it great.

As you can tell, I don't have much experience dealing with metal and certain tools. ;)

Man! The Megapot wall is pretty resilient. For some reason it took me over an hour to get a good sized pilot hole drilled through the stubborn stainless steel. Once I finally got through, the step bit ate through like butter and installation went smoothly.

Can't wait to start whirlpooling! :ban:

Did you attempt to use a punch first to create a starter hole?

Did you attempt to use a punch first to create a starter hole?

Not even a hole needed...a punch or nail set with the 1/2 the diameter of your bit with make a dimple exactly the right size for the bit to cut smoothly...you just have to hit is with an appropriate amount of force.

Hmm... I've been using a set of Harbor Freight step bits for a few years with dish soap as lube. I've drilled quite a few stainless kegs among other things with little effort. Great job though, I like your whirlpool setup!

Pressure and drill speeds are important. I did my pilot holes with a 3/16" cobalt bit running at 3000rpm. I would say i applied about 5lbs of pressure. Took less than 10 seconds each.

The step bit took a lot longer. I did them in 2-3 steps, pausing to let the bit cool, with about 20lbs of pressure, and the bigger the hole got, the slower i went. Still only a few minutes each though.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using as a dip tube in this kettle? Is it just a stainless elbow?

Back