Drilling Holes in Mini Fridge help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaus88

Reaction score
So I want to drill a couple holes in the top of my mini fridge for recirculating cold water through a coil that cools the beer inside the conical. I have tried to contact the manufacture to ask about locations of the cooling coils but they just told me not to drill anywhere. (Probably so they cant be liable if I drilled through on) So I read a couple articles and read about doing a corn starch and alcohol test. I put the mixture on the top and turned the fridge on as high as it goes. The mixture didn't really turn anything up but I could definitely feel where the lines where on the left and right sides but nothing felt hot on top of the fridge. Is it safe to assume that there are no lines ranging from the middle to the front of the fridge?

I thought about that but I would rather not have to run extra long tube lengths to accommodate the door being open when I have to add ice to the bucket of water.

Start looking for the area that looks safe (doesn't get hot) and where you want the passage holes. I've read people drilling or cutting shallow (pilot) holes, carefully, on the inside through the plastic, then scrape away the inside foam insulation, so they can see the shell and check for any pipes. If clear proceed with drilling the hole. Use some foam to reseal/insulate.

You will have to consider the location of each component and the most likely path used to connect them. For example, if the compressor is in the back at the bottom and the evaporator is in the back at the top then the lines will likely be in the back wall. Running the lines to the top would not be necessary and would add extra material and cost.

On another note, does that mini fridge have the cooling capacity to chill your conical? Cold crash it?
Most mini fridges are pathetic performers when it comes to cooling.

How about a small chest freezer? Fill the cavity with glycol. If too large, put some 'bricks' in it to fill up the extra space. Not real bricks, but something suitable.

Are you thinking the condenser is wrapped around the outside of the fridge? My freezer is like that but I did not know there are refrigerators like that. Is there no visible condenser on you fridge?

Back