Drill hole in lid/top of chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I could make a collar but I have no particular plan to make a keezer. And, even if so, it seems like a small hole 3/8" or maybe 1/2" in the lid would be easy enough to reseal/fix anyway.

Purpose of the hole would be for a gas vent line out of a blowoff catch can.

I see frost lines on the freezer walls but would rather not risk drilling where there could be refrigerant passages.

Seems the lid is easy and basically no risk.

What say you?

An 8mm od tube doesn't cause a leak and the door shuts fine on my keg fridge and fermenter fridge. The seal adapts fine.
I wouldn't drill a hole for this role.
Lids are safe to perforate, sides risky.

An 8mm od tube doesn't cause a leak and the door shuts fine on my keg fridge and fermenter fridge. The seal adapts fine.
I wouldn't drill a hole for this role.
Lids are safe to perforate, sides risky.

I'll take a closer look but it's a cheap unit and there isn't very much extra give/cushion in the seal to conform. I have run thermocouple wire under the seal but that's about 1mm, give or take.

The lid is a thin piece of sheet metal on the top with foam in the middle and plastic on the bottom. Nothing to break.

IMG_0773.jpg

Back