Dried/Liquid yeast - what's the big difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastGardener

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post (although not first brew) ...

Glad that I found this forum; the last time I was actively brewing such forums were not around! (been do other things for some years:(

Anyway, I'm back into brewing, but now remember that it required really good yeast to get that genuine beery taste. So, can anybody help me get the best from my usual humble Safale S05 or Safale-Nottingham dried yeast packet 'seed'? (I tend to brew from raw ingredients, pitch the 11g, and wait, and then try to draw yeast from one batch to the next in one long continuous line for at least 3 barrels-worth).

So, e.g. where in the ferm bin is the best place to extract yeast from, for each next batch? (the liquid top, the sludgy bottom, the top/middle/bottom of the sludge? ....) when do I extract? 24hrs, 36hrs, 48hrs, days, weeks after ferm start?

Any help will be appreciated as I mostly always add a new dried yeast packet (insurance) to each new barrels'-worth - so that no ingredients are wasted!

I really want to be able to pitch from one bin to the next without new dried yeast!

Thanks and great to find your forum!
:mug:

I think most people use the yeast that's left over after racking the beer (to secondary or to a bottling bucket) when its done in primary. The leftover yeast cake at the bottom of the pail can be used right away, or be washed and stored for later.

Thanks McGarnigle & llazy_llama!

Had a look at the yeast washing page - will try this. Just a thought though, my dreggs contain a lot of 'muck' (bits of barley and hops), and there is a colour change throughout (varying dark brown to cream) as though they have formed at different times. Should I specifically select a layer to find the best yeast?

llazy_llama: is it better to take from the krausen (if successful), and does this change the yeast profile to more top-fermenting? What's the general consensus for best brew results? (BTW, I've been to S.Dakota - loved it!:tank:)

I only ask to get going quickly again, I seem to have forgotten so much!

Thanks guys.

YeastGardener.

A) NOBODY has bee to S. Dakota, not anyone! ;)

B) Draw off the cleanest creamiest yeast from the top layer. If you draw too much it's no biggy, you can let it settle again and repeat. Getting a little of the trub (Ugly sludge) in there won't really hurt much anyway.

A) NOBODY has bee to S. Dakota, not anyone! ;)

B) Draw off the cleanest creamiest yeast from the top layer. If you draw too much it's no biggy, you can let it settle again and repeat. Getting a little of the trub (Ugly sludge) in there won't really hurt much anyway.

B) Thanks, that helps.

A!) Sorry to be unfashionable, was a student then (visited the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore &c.) - using up a Delta pass; still, enjoyed it and other parts of USofA. (Missed Ohio, strangely.;)) Unfortunately, didn't know about the great American microbrewery/homebrew tradition at the time - would have drunk more/better beer!

Once you have collected your yeast, use this calculator to get the right pitching rate for best results. Use the "repitching from slurry tab". Plug in the information in the fields at the top, use the sliders for your thickness of slurry and trub content and then hit calculate and it will give you the mL of yeast needed to pitch.

Once you have collected your yeast, use this calculator to get the right pitching rate for best results. Use the "repitching from slurry tab". Plug in the information in the fields at the top, use the sliders for your thickness of slurry and trub content and then hit calculate and it will give you the mL of yeast needed to pitch.

Wow! Guess what my next question was going to be ...:D

Anyway, I'm off now (the computer that is) to brew my first batch for 'n' years ... I shall call it the 'Easter Resurrection' (of a brewer) - best English bitter!
I shall try this yeast pitching/washing technique and use the pitching rate calculator.

Happy Easter (from the UK), you'all.:mug:

YeastGardener.

I don't see the linky. I'll post it again, just in case. Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator

Back