Dragon's Silk Imperial Stout Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelflyer2003

Reaction score
I bought a Northern Brewer Dragon’s Silk Imperial Stout extract kit. This will be my 8th extract kit. The OG should come in at 1.096. I have been kicking around the idea of just doing away with the bourbon addition because I am not real big on bourbon stouts. I may still soak the 3 oz. of oak chips in the bourbon just to kill off any unwanted hitchhikers that may be in the wood. I have never had a beer that used oak chips, so I am not sure when to add them, because I tend to leave the beer in the primary for a long time and I don’t want too much wood flavor. I don’t want the beer to taste like I am drinking a piece of furniture. I am a patient man (procrastinator?). I just bottled a NB Imperial Stout that I brewed in June 30th and will let them sit in the bottle for 2 months before trying one. The NB Imperial Stout said to ferment for 4 months and had an OG of 1.086 and FG at 1.024. The Dragon’s silk instructions say 2 weeks in primary, 6-8 in secondary, and 2 weeks bottle condition. I quit using secondary after the second brew. This doesn't seem like enough time. My temp in the basement runs 60 in the Winter to 67 in Summer Granted it calls for two yeast packs. I was not monitoring the gravity of the Imperial Stout I just bottled, so who knows when it reached FG. So back to my question: If i add the chips at two weeks like they say and end up letting it set four months will I get too woody a flavor?

Are they just the plain wood chips? I have not used those. I usually use the medium or dark charred cubes. I think the plain chips can leave a fair amount of wood. You could always add them to primary, and then when you transfer to secondary, they won't be in there.

I think soaking them in bourbon and dumping off the bourbon is a good idea. Bourbon can be pretty potent in a beer when you add actual bourbon - even a few ounces. Soaking them will leave some trace flavors, but nothing crazy.

Are they just the plain wood chips? I have not used those. I usually use the medium or dark charred cubes. I think the plain chips can leave a fair amount of wood. You could always add them to primary, and then when you transfer to secondary, they won't be in there.

I think soaking them in bourbon and dumping off the bourbon is a good idea. Bourbon can be pretty potent in a beer when you add actual bourbon - even a few ounces. Soaking them will leave some trace flavors, but nothing crazy.
Thanks for responding. They are the chips that come in the NB Extract kit. They are sealed in a foil pouch, so I am unable to see what they look like. I wonder how long I should leave them in.

You could do a couple things -

1.) Follow the instructions - as is.
2.) Soak them, but don't add the bourbon, and add them for all of secondary.
3.) Soak them, don't add bourbon, add them 2-4 weeks before you plan to bottle.(might end up stronger than you anticipate simply because it does not have time to mellow out before bottling.)
4.) Soak them, don't add bourbon, add half or 2/3 the amount for all of secondary
5.) Let the beer ferment for a week. Then add the soaked chips to primary. Let them sit two more weeks in primary, then move them off the chips and into secondary.

I guess if you are really worried about too much bourbon/wood - I would go with #4 or #5. Bottom line is this - too much bourbon and wood can ruin your beer if that is not what you are looking for. On the other hand, too little will just make you say "This is really good, but, I think a little more bourbon/wood could have made it better - next time I will add more/longer."

Back