Draft line too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytondave

Reaction score
Can a draft line that is too long cause beer to loose carbonation? I ask as I carbed a keg at 18PSI for over two weeks and it still comes out flat. Using 15' of 3/16" hose.

No, can't really lose it in the line.
A leak perhaps? Has the keg been under pressure all that time, and it still is?

You get any foaming?

On a sidenote, I brewed a 2% Oatmeal Mild that fails to carbonate under 15 psi, flat as can be. I was able to carbonate it under 40psi, pours like soda (line is too short, balanced for 15 psi), with a big bubbly head that dissipates within 10 seconds, leaving no foam. The beer tastes carbonated, but not much. I guess there's a lack of proteins in it to form a head, or something else wonky with 40% oats in it.

When I force carb, I notice the beer in the line doesn't carb up like whats in the keg. You may need to dump (or drink) a few oz to clear our whats in the line then star pouring in a glass in order to get a true representation of the current carb state.

Back