Doug's Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martiniw2olives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at my variation from a recipe that I have enjoyed. Questions and comments from this forum will be most appreciated. The deltas from the recipe are as follows:

- From yeast S-04 to London Ale Yeast WLP013
- Addition of 1 lb of honey at flame out

Grain bill:

10 lbs two row
1 lb brown malt
8 oz crystal 60
8 oz chocolate malt

Hops: 1 oz E.K. Golding 60 minutes

Yeast: London Ale Yeast WLP013

Other:

1 lb honey flame out

Mash temp: 154

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have

Hi, I've moved this from the recipe database (which is for tried-and-true recipes) to the recipes forum, where you are likely to get more responses.

The recipe looks good. You might try the White Labs British Yeast WLP005, too, which I really like in many English ales. Also, I would consider adding a 20 minute hop addition, to add a little hop flavor to the hop bitterness. The style allows up to moderate hop flavor.

Good luck!

The grain bill looks fine, very similar to Fullers London Porter. However, adding honey is not necessary and will do little but to increase the gravity and aid attenuation...which is not a good thing here. Also, with all those roasted malts, the honey flavor will most likely get lost.

Lastly, brown porters often benefit from a somewhat 'robust' yeast that leaves some sweetness. Yeasts like wy1968, 1318, 1469 are good choices, wlp013 too. I would use s-04 as a last choice. Even Nottingham fermented cold (62F) is fine.

Latest posts

Back