Double pitch Dale's Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron_Clad

Reaction score
So I'm about to purchase the Dale's Pale Ale extract recipe on Austin Homebrew Supply website and they have the double pitching option (for another $6.99, btw) selected as default. They are recommending double pitching for beers with a starting gravity over 1.060. First, they don't have the recipe starting gravity listed, so one could assume that the starting gravity for this recipe is over 1.060. Second, do you guys recommend buying double yeast? FYI it is the White Labs California Ale V WLP051

I would think Dale's Pale Ale OG is just barely over 1.060, although I've never made a clone of it.

Instead of double-pitching, I would personally make a yeast-starter. It'll save you about $7 for that extra vial of yeast. Or, you could just switch to a dry yeast like US-05 which typically have much more yeast per vial/packet.

You can also do a yeast starter....that should give you the same results as double pitching. For bigger beers you want more yeasties. ;)

I was just on AHS today looking at some extract kits. You just beat me to the point an posted this question. Great minds think a like I guess! It seems like almost every extract kit they sold they were pushing the 2nd yeast packet to ensure a good fermentation for the beer. I would like to do a starter but i have only brewed once so my equipment is limited. Is pitching double yeast just as effective as a starter?

I was just on AHS today looking at some extract kits. You just beat me to the point an posted this question. Great minds think a like I guess! It seems like almost every extract kit they sold they were pushing the 2nd yeast packet to ensure a good fermentation for the beer. I would like to do a starter but i have only brewed once so my equipment is limited. Is pitching double yeast just as effective as a starter?

You'll more-or-less achieve the same thing by double pitching as with a yeast starter. Buuuut, yeast starters are easy peasy, especially for beers that aren't huge (like imperial stouts, DIPAs, etc.). All you need is a little DME and a small container - flasks are common, but really anything will work (growlers, milk jugs, whatever).

Honestly, AHS is just trying to sell an unnecessary vial of yeast - can't really blame them.

See this thread for a good reference / encouragement: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/my-first-yeast-start-success-285532/

Well, if you buy 1 lb of DME (for about $4), that is enough to make about eight yeast starters. That is versus extra yeast (about $7) for one batch.

raptorkeeper89 said:
Is there any cost difference between using DME to make a starter vs buying double yeast?

3 lbs DME at my LHBS is about $10. IIRC, a typical starter for 5 gallons calls for ~3 oz DME. Cost savings is huge.

The DME I use for starters goes a long way. More than pays for itself with the savings from yeast.

When you get to doing starters get a scale. Weighing amounts is much more accurate than volume. The amount in a given volume can change depending on how densely packed the ingredient is. Then go metric. 1 gram dme for 10 ml starter. So for a 1 liter starter you need 100 grams of dme. For a 2 liter starter, 200 grams.
Make a stirplate. That is easy also and you can make smaller starters.
Check out mrmalty.com and YeastCalc Yeast Calculator for information and calculating amounts of yeast for a given OG.

raptorkeeper89 said:
Does is matter what DME you buy? Will it add to the flavor profile of the beer you add the starter to?

I wouldn't buy dark DME, but other than that, it shouldn't matter. The volume typically isn't enough to change the flavor profile. Most people let the yeast fall out of suspension and decant off most of the starter beer anyways so it's even less of an issue.

Easiest way to measure a starter is with a scale. 1gram DME per 10 ml. So a 1 liter starter needs 100grams. 2.5 liter starter, needs 250 grams, etc.

That's actually awesome that they reccomend two vials. One vial isnt even enough to pitch proper levels for a 1.050. When you use mr malty pitch rate calculator you can find the exact amount of starter to make.

I pay 2$ per lb of dme cause I buy by the 50lb bag

ZamaMan said:
I pay 2$ per lb of dme cause I buy by the 50lb bag

how do you keep 50lb of DME dry for prolonged storage? I can't keep it from clumping and absorbing moisture from a 3 LB bag.

Back