Double Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico93

Reaction score
what do you think about? i'm brewing in two weeks

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: double oatmeal stout
Brewer: Nico e Gio
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30,0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7,93 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6,34 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6,34 gal
Bottling Volume: 6,08 gal
Estimated OG: 1,091 SG
Estimated Color: 48,0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64,3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70,0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 0,4 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 53,8 %
2 lbs 3,3 oz Oats, Flaked (1,0 SRM) Grain 2 10,8 %
1 lbs 5,2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80,0 SRM) Grain 3 6,5 %
14,1 oz Chocolate Malt (350,0 SRM) Grain 4 4,3 %
10,6 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500,0 SRM) Grain 5 3,2 %
10,6 oz Roasted Barley (300,0 SRM) Grain 6 3,2 %
7,1 oz Biscuit Malt (23,0 SRM) Grain 7 2,2 %
3 lbs 4,9 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3,0 SRM) Dry Extract 8 16,1 %
5,29 oz Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] - Boil 60,0 Hop 9 64,3 IBUs
3,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20 lbs 8,0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 21,50 qt of water at 163,7 F 150,8 F 75 min
Mash out Add 0,00 qt of water at 167,0 F 167,0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4,88 gal water at 168,0 F
Notes:

i used decimals because i thought the recipe in metric unit and after i converted it

thanks!

Looks good to me! If you're using dry yeast I'd maybe use S04 but otherwise that looks like a tasty beer.

I might also bitter with something like Magnum so you don't have to use up so much EKG.

Interesting...I've been formulating a Double Oatmeal Stout recipe over the past few days and mine is looking very similar. Here's mine:

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Bottling Volume: 5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated Color: 56 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72 IBUs
Est Mash Efficiency: 67%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
11 lbs (58%) Maris Otter
2 lbs (11%) Munich (20L)
2 lbs (11%) Flaked Oats
1 lbs (5%) Chocolate (US, 350 SRM)
0.5 lbs (3%) Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L
0.75 lbs (4%) Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.75 lbs (4%) Roasted Barley (English, 500L)
0.25 lbs (1%) Black Patent
0.75 lbs (4%) Brown Sugar,Dark

Hops:
Nugget - 1.5 oz (60 min)
Willamette - 1 oz (30 min)
Willamette - 1 oz (5 min)

Mash: singe infusion 154 degrees 60 minutes with batch sparge
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Ferment 64 degrees

That's a lot of black patent - you'll probably end up with some unpleasant flavors from all that black patent. If it were my recipe, I'd ditch the black patent entirely and then bump up the roast and chocolate malt. (I've had great success making a recipe with equal parts roast, chocolate, and C-60, each about 7% of the total grist, so maybe that's a good ratio for your recipe too?) Otherwise, looks good!

That's a lot of black patent - you'll probably end up with some unpleasant flavors from all that black patent. If it were my recipe, I'd ditch the black patent entirely and then bump up the roast and chocolate malt. (I've had great success making a recipe with equal parts roast, chocolate, and C-60, each about 7% of the total grist, so maybe that's a good ratio for your recipe too?) Otherwise, looks good!

Ugh. The black patent hate is so absurd and often is not on any actual fact or experience. I use 12oz of black patent in a normal stout and it's awesome. I use more than a pound in my RIS. Do you like Obsidian Stout or any stout Bells makes? If so, you like Back Patent in large quantities.

The truth about black patent

"If there ever was a malt equivalent of the crazy uncle that lives under the stairs, black malt (also called black patent malt) would be it. Few people use it, most people don’t think they like it and everyone is afraid of it. Why, you ask? Because all the current literature tells you so. A usual description goes something like this, “Black malt lends a very sharp, acrid, burnt flavor whose harshness is beyond that of both chocolate malt and roasted barley.” Sometimes, it is additionally described as “ashy.” To top it off, many sources advise brewers that it should only be used sparingly. With a sales department like that, I would stay away from this stuff too! Let me tell you, however, the assessment of black malt as a harsh malt that should only be used in small quantities is W-R-O-N-G! When used properly, in the right beer, nothing can replace black malt for what it lends to a beer. Black malt primarily gives a highly roasted flavor, that carries some bitterness and acidity. But it can also show a deep fruity character reminiscent of currants, blackberries or sultanas. It gives deep contrast to a round malty beer by giving it some elbows, without being pushy. Most importantly, even in very small quantities, it provides a drying quality that brightens up the finish of any beer."

I love black patent. I use it in my RISs where I purposefully use it in excess in lieu of extreme amounts of hops.

I think I would leave out Biscuit malt since you are using Maris otter, and then bumb up roasted barley.

Well, I guess I learned something too. Black patent ain't so bad after all.

@MrSnacks i thought to use us05 instead us04 beacuse i want a good attenuation! my favourite imperial stout start a 1090 and finish a 1015!

i used east kent because i've got it at home but i can buy something like magnum!

@chato i like municht too but oat don't give itself a good body and mounthfell?

@JonM you scared me:) i always used in my stout choccolate and roasted (near 7% of each as you said) and i never used black patent since today but i hope the time is arrived

@thesemicullen @MrSnacks @thesemicullen thanks for the article! 3,2% of black patent is a good percentage or is too much?

@pcampo why you seggest to remove the biscuits? and i have already 11% of dark malts boosting roasted isn't too much?

@pcampo why you seggest to remove the biscuits? and i have already 11% of dark malts boosting roasted isn't too much?

I suggested remove the Biscuit because the characteristics it gives off are similar to Maris Otter--Nutty, toasty, bready. I dont think its needed with Maris. I generally use biscuit when I am using a base malt like 2-row or Pilsner and trying to get some nutty and toasty flavors. With Maris otter i dont think its needed....I read the percentages wrong on your list there, So I take back what I said about the roasted barley. I think that 2-3% of Roasted barley is just right.

Also, this is just my opinion, but I might also remove the crystal, or at least decrease it. I dont want the stout to be too sweet. Maris Otter is pretty robust as it is. But having some sweetness from the roasted barley and crystal to balance out the dryness from the black patent is a good idea. But this also depends on how dry and/or sweet you want it. I personally like drier stouts. ...If you want a drier stout, you may want to consider adding sugar to dry it out

Im in the opinion that less is more. I like to keep things simple and have a simpler grain bill with generally only 10-15% specialty grains or less depending on style (thats exluding the pound or more of oats needed for the style

i like sweet stouts and i love crystal, i put it everytime i can:eek:

@chato i like municht too but oat don't give itself a good body and mounthfell?

Yes the oats give nice body and silky mouthfeel. I'm adding the Munich to increase the maltiness a little. I'm also trying to figure out how to add coffee and vanilla beans soaked in bourbon to this to make it into a breakfast stout type of thing (along the lines of Brunch Weasel or Founders Breakfast Stout).

Yes the oats give nice body and silky mouthfeel. I'm adding the Munich to increase the maltiness a little. I'm also trying to figure out how to add coffee and vanilla beans soaked in bourbon to this to make it into a breakfast stout type of thing (along the lines of Brunch Weasel or Founders Breakfast Stout).

Ok!

What do you think about adding rye malt?

ok, for this time I'll not put it because I've never used and do not know what flavor gives

done today!

everything gone well, will let you know how it came!

Wow, that took a bit! I brewed mine in the first week of November. Turned out great! I left it in primary (no secondary) and added bourbon soaked oak cubes, bourbon soaked vanilla beans, and whole bean coffee - all at different stages before bottling. I bottled it at about 5 weeks and waited another 3 weeks before starting to drink them. It's silky smooth, roasty, and with a great blend of coffee, vanilla and bourbon flavors.

yes, i've got some university problem:eek:

now is fermenting , is down to 1040 , i hope it reach 1015-1018!

glad to hear that your is come out great!
pity that I live outside the United States if not we could reciprocate a couple of bottles:mug:

it finished at 1020, apparent attenuation 76% abv 9,3%

i bottled it three weeks ago with (added fresh yeast) 2.0 vols

today i moved it into the vinery and i tried one: awesome ! i love it!

Latest posts

Back