Double IPA overly sweet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
First time brewing a DIPA...OG was 1089, FG 1019...recipe predicted 1015 and when I took my first hydrometer reading before cold crashing it looked to be 1015 (I must have misread it or wrote it down wrong). And yes before you ask I adjusted the hydrometer readings for temp. I just racked it to the keg today.

It's got a good amount of bitterness but it seems overly sweet to me, should I just roll with this and let it condition or should I repitch and try to get it to dry up? Thoughts?

So, ~77% apparent attenuation. What yeast strain did you use? That might be the top of its window.

In any case, now that you've dropped most of that yeast out I'd be inclined to let this beer be. Messing about with it is more likely to damage it than improve it if only from additional oxygen exposure.
If you have a pipeline where you can set the keg aside an option is to brew a drier version and blend the two...

Cheers!

So, ~77% apparent attenuation. What yeast strain did you use? That might be the top of its window.

In any case, now that you've dropped most of that yeast out I'd be inclined to let this beer be. Messing about with it is more likely to damage it than improve it if only from additional oxygen exposure.
If you have a pipeline where you can set the keg aside an option is to brew a drier version and blend the two...

Cheers!

Safale US-05 which i've read all kinds of numbers on it's attenuation but 77% doesn't seem too bad. I guess I'll let it condition and see how it turns out but i'm not liking the initial taste

Hold up, so you tasted it before it was all carbed up and everything? Beers usually taste kinda sweet with no carbonation.....

Yeah I know but not quite like this...maybe it's because it's a big beer and I've not done one before? So I dunno exactly what it should taste like pre-carb. Hopefully I'm just spazzing out.

The bigger the beer, the sweeter it'll taste. Granted you probably didn't need the honey malt, but it's probably fine. Get it carbed up and chilled and it'll be a very different beer. Your attenuation was fine.

Well that makes me feel better, thanks for the vote of confidence.

+1 with comfort zone. The more sugar you start with, the more you end with. Additionally, carbonation will drastically change the mouth feel. Finally, don’t shoot me for this, but I’m skeptical that most people would detect a difference of .005 FG if they didn’t know it existed, and 101% of people would point it out if they knew it existed.

Where are your IBUs? I always bump up my IBUs for a bigger IPA like that to help balance out the bigger body/flavor/sweetness of the sweet wort.

I brewed a DIPA recently that was a NEIPA, so not one you'd normally expect to be bitter, but I had the theoretical IBUs around 60 for a 7.7% beer.

Where are your IBUs? I always bump up my IBUs for a bigger IPA like that to help balance out the bigger body/flavor/sweetness of the sweet wort.

I brewed a DIPA recently that was a NEIPA, so not one you'd normally expect to be bitter, but I had the theoretical IBUs around 60 for a 7.7% beer.

IBUs are 111 for a 9.2% beer. Now mind you I whirpooled some of the hops so it's really hard to get a solid number on utilization, especially because I started my whirpool around 160F. Pre-whirlpool it was sitting at 85 IBUs so somewhere in between that and 111?

Hey guys, thanks to all for talking me off the ledge here...it's always tricky when you're brewing something you've never tried before. After just a day carbing at 20 psi it's already completely transformed it. The upfront sweeteness is gone, so is the sharp bitter bite that it had initially, now you can start to see how everything is rounding out. I think this is going to work out just fine.

For others stumbling upon this thread this threw me for a whirl, with everything else I've brewed you can get a good idea of what it will turn into post-fermentation, but it seems like bigger beers don't play by the same rules. It seems like with everything 'bigger' (hops, alcohol, sugar content, etc) the carbonation really settles things down. I'm eager to see what a week or two conditioning will do for this, I think it's gonna be pretty good :D

It’s probably the honey malt. I bought a couple pounds of it and read up on it and what I gathered it is can over take over your brew pretty easily. I just did a Hopslam clone and I am drinking as I type and I decided to add 1/4 pound of the honey malt to it and I can taste it. With the IBU’s and it being around 10% I really enjoy it. So with the your higher FG and the honey malt that is probably what you are tasting. And with your 111 IBU I bet it is pretty good and balanced like mine. Sweet up front and a bitter after taste. The first drink is a little like what was that and then you thoroughly enjoy the rest.

Back