Double gauge 1 pressure, 2 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushnbugs

Reaction score
Hi there

I wanted to get myself the correct regulator for what I want to do. I would like to be able to have two different beers dispensing. So I have my 20# CO2 tank and I am ready to buy the regulator. I was looking at this one..

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642-2.html

Would this be good for what I want to do, or should I just buy the single? Would both kegs be dispensing at the same PSI? By buying this one I realize that they would both be dispensing at the same pressure but is it possible that one would need a higher or lower PSI to function correctly?

I was planning on using two Cornelius kegs that hold the same amount if that matters.

All thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
:mug:

You can do two diff psi, but you need open and close valves to insure the higher psi doesn't absorb into the beer you want at lower psi. If you already have a regulator for your current setup, it is much cheaper to just buy a multi valve manifold. Otherwise, buy a dual regulator.

I have five kegs, all on the same regulator. I dispense/store all of my beers at 12 psi with that set up. I rarely need a different pressure, so it's good for me. If you're going to be serving very highly carbed beers or soda, then you may want to spring for a second regulator. But if you don't mind all of your beers carbed about the same, then one regulator is great.

I'm not sure what the advantage is of two check valves off the same body. I went with a single valve off the primary reg at 40 psi. This goes to a T. One side of the T runs to a keg of water, the other side runs to two secondary regs in series.
One secondary goes to a manifold with two check valves, then to two kegs. The other secondary goes straight to a keg.
This gives me two kegs at x psi, and one at y psi, plus the high pressure feed to the water.
I have no need for more than two levels of carb, but I do really like having two. One at about 8 psi, one at 11-ish.

That valve will allow you to use one PSI for both kegs. I bought a dual regulator and a T. So I can run 2 kegs at one PSI and the other at another (thought I may want to get into pressure fermenting at some point).

Im not sure Im understanding what or how the manifold would work…would I take one line off the regulator to the manifold and THEN to both kegs at say 12psi...

Whats the second line for then? Could I simply shut the keg lines off and then be able to switch the regulator to a higher PSI for water to make seltzer…? The manifold would isolating the beer so it does not get over carbonated.

Sorry, If Im not getting it but I am thinking I am correct

I'm not sure what the advantage is of two check valves off the same body. I went with a single valve off the primary reg at 40 psi. This goes to a T. One side of the T runs to a keg of water, the other side runs to two secondary regs in series.
One secondary goes to a manifold with two check valves, then to two kegs. The other secondary goes straight to a keg.
This gives me two kegs at x psi, and one at y psi, plus the high pressure feed to the water.
I have no need for more than two levels of carb, but I do really like having two. One at about 8 psi, one at 11-ish.

Do you have pictures of this set-up? I am having a hard time visualizing this. I like this idea, SWMBO loves carbonated water and to have a keg of it for her would score big points.

I was just looking again on Micro Matic,

Could I get this regulator

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642.html

Then take gas line to a manifold like this one,

http://www.brainardbrewing.com/blog/?p=427

Then I could have my two kegs running at 12psi and IF I wanted to run that third line off for seltzer I would only have to shut off kegs and turn up the psi to make seltzer.

Turn down psi when I was done so beer could keep flowing.

Sorry no pictures yet...

Yup that sounds right to me. Check amazon, cause I saw micro matic sells there air distributors (manifold) on there for cheaper. I am in the same boat but I am just gong to get a dual regulator cause I like to make soda and Hefe that contain 4 vol of co2 and don't want to mess with closing off valves and changing pressures.

I would go with the one with the single check valve to start off with. If you find later that you'd like to regularly run more than one pressure, you can get a set of these:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...683ST_three_product_secondary_regulator.shtml
tn375_large_tf_T1683ST081810101154.jpg

That's the setup I've got. I have two taps running at 9 psi for things like an English bitter or porter, two at 12 psi for "normal" beers, and one at 18 for highly carbonated beers like a Hefe.

Do you have pictures of this set-up? I am having a hard time visualizing this. I like this idea, SWMBO loves carbonated water and to have a keg of it for her would score big points.

I do have a picture, but it's like a rats nest since I have three 5 gallon kegs, one 2.5 gallon, and a 10lb CO2 tank in a 7.2 CF freezer. I drew a quick and dirty picture of the setup.
The red line is from the low pressure side of the primary regulator and splits at the T to the water keg and the secondary regulators.
The Green line is at some pressure different than the blue line. The pressures I show are the way I have it now.
The manifold is essentially the same function as the "T", but it gives me check valves in an easy to mount package. It's also nice to turn them off when not in use.
This way, everything that could kick back liquid has a check valve. The check valve on the green secondary is kind of unnecessary, but it came that way.

The thing with water is, even at 30 psi, and 15 feet of 3/16" line, it comes out too fast. I think I'll try one of those epoxy mixer sticks in the diptube at some point.

setup.jpg

SO how does the Taprite compare to the Micro matic or this guy here

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/double/premium_double_gauge_542.html

You all are VERY helpful, THANKS!!! Gr8shandini!!!!

:mug:

I can't speak for the Taprite, but I have that exact "premium" regulator from beveragefactory. I like their prices, but the two times I've ordered from them, the products were poorly packaged. The regulator came with a bent faceplate in the low pressure gauge, and the blue valve leaked a lot. The body does hold pressure. I unbent the faceplate and swapped in a new check valve. To their credit, they did offer to replace it when I posted my review. I elected not to since I already had the parts and the body was sound.
My secondaries are the chudnow in-house version from kegconnection. No issues with them yet.

I do have a picture, but it's like a rats nest since I have three 5 gallon kegs, one 2.5 gallon, and a 10lb CO2 tank in a 7.2 CF freezer. I drew a quick and dirty picture of the setup.
The red line is from the low pressure side of the primary regulator and splits at the T to the water keg and the secondary regulators.
The Green line is at some pressure different than the blue line. The pressures I show are the way I have it now.
The manifold is essentially the same function as the "T", but it gives me check valves in an easy to mount package. It's also nice to turn them off when not in use.
This way, everything that could kick back liquid has a check valve. The check valve on the green secondary is kind of unnecessary, but it came that way.

The thing with water is, even at 30 psi, and 15 feet of 3/16" line, it comes out too fast. I think I'll try one of those epoxy mixer sticks in the diptube at some point.

setup.jpg

Thank you, this is even better than a picture. So do you have your "low valve" taht comes straight off the tank set to 35-40 for the water side then you just lower that with the secondary regulator at the kegs?

Indytruks138 said:
Thank you, this is even better than a picture. So do you have your "low valve" taht comes straight off the tank set to 35-40 for the water side then you just lower that with the secondary regulator at the kegs?

Yes, exactly that. I generally like low carb, with one or two exceptions, so two secondaries was enough for me. Too many pressures is too much work to balance.

I finally received the MicroMatic gauge in the mail, hooked it up to the CO2 and pressurized a bottle of water into seltzer.

Wow this is going to be nice. I can't wait to get the rest of the stuff I need.

Having a little bit of a shortage of $$ so I have to wait to get the next wave of gauges.

I brewed my first batch and its fermenting so I will have to get this finished up in the next couple weeks...

Latest posts

Back