Double dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummerbrew1985

Reaction score
Anybody ever double dry hopped a beer? His did you do it? Racked? Filtered? Cold crashed? Please share your thoughts as I heard that a micro brewery near me do it.

Primary - The wife's birthday EPA
Conditioning - APA
Kegged - Centennial/cascade pale ale

If you dryhop with pellets they pretty much just drop out. I keg and like to dryhop with whole cone. I put them in a muslin bag and just pull it back out once I'm done. You could do that too. Pull the old and insert new. I've been successful with pellets and whole cone.

Anybody ever double dry hopped a beer? His did you do it? Racked? Filtered? Cold crashed? Please share your thoughts as I heard that a micro brewery near me do it.

Conditioning - APA

Do you mean doing two different dry hops or do you mean dry hopping with two hops? Dry hopping with two hops is easy...just dd both at the same time. If you're going to do two different dry hopping sessions, you're going to either rack to a secondary for the first dry hop session and rack to a tertiary for the second dry hop, that way your beer should be off your first dry hop. You could do the first dry hop in the primary instead, though I prefer to rack to a secondary for dry-hopping myself, so if I tried to "double dry hop" I'd go with a tertiary for the second dry hopping. Personally, I'm not quite sure what the point of doing two different dry hop sessions, since the second would likely overpower the first for the most part.

Last night I added a first dry hop to my Pliny clone. After 7 days I'll add a second dry hop addition and start to crash cool at the same time. I'm just adding everything to primary carboy... starting to drink the primary only koolaid.

There are a few ways:

Dry hop in primary, transfer to secondary/keg when done and dry hop again

Dry hop 1 week from bottling/kegging. Add second addition 3-4 days from bottling/kegging.

Either way works well. I liked the 3 smaller additions I did on my mosaic american strong ale. First addition 7 day from bottling, then another 5 days, then another 3 days. Left them all in there

I've double dry hopped a couple of times.

The first time, I added the first round pellets direct to primary for 4 days, then racked to secondary for the second round.

The second time, I did not use a secondary. Instead, I put the first round in a fine-mesh bag with sanitized marbles, then pulled that out after 5 days, then added the second round pellets direct to the primary for another 5 days, cold-crashed, then bottled.

Both times the results were underwhelming. In my last batch, I put the whole dry hop charge (a large one) into the primary for a single dry hop, and I got the best results yet.

I'm doing my first double dry hop at the moment. First addition of pellets 14 days before bottling, second 7 days. Will it turn out grassy? Maybe but we'll have to wait and see.

Eucrid
That dry hopping schedule sounds fine, not too much exposure time.
I would suggest cold crashing after at 0oc or 32f for about 5 days. This will help lots of hop haze particles to drop out and on my experience it takes the harsh tones off the dry hop additions especially if you use a lot.
Good luck and please update your results.

Conditioning - APA

I will do. Added the 2nd dry hop today and it was big. Was supposed to be 30g Cascade and 20g Willamette but my 100g bag of Cascade seemed to be stuffed full of extra hops so I added 54g cascade and 16g Willamette, which is 20g more than I planned. So now the dry hop is a total of 110g for 5 gallons. Thats nearly 4 ounces.

Wow. That's gonna be über hoppy
I hope u like cascade hops. :)
Well who doesn't I guess!

Conditioning - APA

Latest posts

Back