Double check my extract to all-grain conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freyguy

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys could double check my conversion of a recipe from extract to all-grain. I just got the 10gal cooler kit from Northern Brewer for xmas, and I'm trying to plan my first brew. I've been wanting to do the Blood Orange Hefeweizen from "Extreme Brewing" for some time, and it's Blood Orange season now, so I think I'll give it a shot. I had it at the brewpub last year and it was great! Let me know what you think. I used Beersmith for the conversion.

Original Extract:
6.6lbs Light Liquid Wheat Extract (55%wheat/45%barley)
1/2oz Hallertau 60min
1/2oz Saaz 20min
1/2oz Hallertau 10min
4 averaged size blood oranges (place cubed meat from oranges, and the zest from half of the peels in pot with 1/2gal water. bring to 160 degrees F and turn off heat. Let cool and steep for 20min. Add to the primary when beer is done.)
WLP300 or WLP380
Calls for a 4gal boil, 10day fermentation, 10day bottle condition.

Converted to All grain, replace the extract with:
5lb 3.4oz 2-row Pale
3lb 4.3oz Wheat Malt

Does that sound right? I think beersmith uses 2-row by default. Is this right for a Hefe? And judging from the wheat/barley ratio in the extract, should i use more wheat malt in the all grain version? Should I adjust my hop additions for a full boil?

Thanks for any input. I've been reading alot about this, and have a video at home to watch before I try it. I won't be doing it for a couple weeks. I'm brewing one last extract this weekend since I already have the ingredients. A Crandaddy Braggot from the same book. Should be interesting!! :D

Since malt extract syrup is about 80% of just grain, you're only a few ounces light. I like to use 50/50% two-row and wheat for my hefeweizen - and still use rice hulls to prevent setting the mash - but others differ. Besides, when it's 50/50, I can dish myself some spent grain and pretend it's hot Grape*Nuts (seriously; check the box!). :D

Since the original recipe is based on boiling all the extract in a small volume, you're going to have to adjust the hops schedule based on full boil. Any halfway decent brewing software suite will do that nicely.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob. I'll play around on Brewsmith some more. I wasn't even sure if 2-row was the right base malt! ;)

How much rice hulls would you use? I'll have to read up on that.

One thing that pops up to me is that the extract is 55% wheat yet your recipe is less than half wheat. I would go with at least 50% of each and you could use pilsner malt for a lighter SRM. A few rice hulls are good insurance because the wheat malt sure get sticky.

Latest posts

Back