Double brewed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
When a beer list describes a beer as a double brewed beer what exactly does that mean? Is it boiled for 2 hours? The abv is 13% so I'm thinking it's just a longer boil but I wanted some other ideas as to what it may be.

Yea me either. I googled it and nothing came up so I figured I'd ask the forum. Theore I think about it the more I think it's a 120 minute style beer.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

It's from a new small nano local brewery near my town. It's an imperial stout aged in whiskey barrels. Androit Theory is the name of the brewery.

Maybe the barrel aging is the "second brew"? Not that that's really accurate as brewing it a second time.

The site is a bit fancy and all but I would rather look at a fancy site than some cruddy ting that has no flow. They sure are going for crafty though.

They clearly invested in their website or one of the people is a former graphic designer. I think double brewed is a BS term and they think their customers are stupid to not know. Their tap room is awesome though. Clearly they have cash in hand but if they're as *****y as they seem or if their beer is bad then cash won't matter.

I looked for a double brewed beer on the website but the closest I found was a double stout, a 13% beer. Was this what you saw?

I looked for a double brewed beer on the website but the closest I found was a double stout, a 13% beer. Was this what you saw?

Yeah I see their beer Day of the Dead which says "Double Stout Aged in Bourbon" which is a legitimate claim. I'd like to see where it says it is double brewed.

Closest I can think of is Green Flash Palate Wrecker where they mash with hopped wort, so that's sorta double brewed I guess.

But this sounds like marketing gobbledygook.

The OP said a beer list had the term double brewed on it. Could it be that the brewery called it a double stout but whoever wrote the beer list added the double brewed?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Closest I can think of is Green Flash Palate Wrecker where they mash with hopped wort, so that's sorta double brewed I guess.

But this sounds like marketing gobbledygook.

This is what I was thinking. It's also a technique mentioned in (I think) Radical Brewing, doing a first mash and then adding the runnings to fresh malt and mashing again. I wouldn't think it was crazy to call that "double brewing". It does kinda sound like a waste of time to me, though.

If you go to their Facebook page and look at the tap sheet for the weekend you'll see the double brewed day of the dead stout. Maybe it was a typo and they just mean double stout.
The radical brewing technique sounds interesting, like a double mash of sorts, but it does sound like a waste of time. It could also be what they mean though... thanks for all the replies! It will be cool to see what the owner says, and how he explains it to other brewers, if it isn't a typo.

Pretty cool website. Wonder if the beer is as good. I'm guessing double brewed is a typo like the spelling. Lot of work for a small operation to put something like that together with no mistakes.

I like the marketing plan...heavy focus on special release beers catering to the crowd who can taste rare...

I'm intrigued by the TPD...am surprised that is allowable commercial labeling. Also curious about the idea of pouring a beer over a sugar cube. Would like to see a video of that being poured.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The radical brewing technique sounds interesting, like a double mash of sorts, but it does sound like a waste of time. It could also be what they mean though... thanks for all the replies! It will be cool to see what the owner says, and how he explains it to other brewers, if it isn't a typo.

Chris Colby at Beerandwinejournal.com wrote up a series on this technique he calls reiterated mashing. A strategy to get to very high gravity wort without a crazy long boil.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Took a quick look at the label, I only see TPD appearing on the label... So you have to know what it means. They are creating a sense that "I am in the know" on the part of the consumer. Adroit marketing...

Took a quick look at the label, I only see TPD appearing on the label... So you have to know what it means. They are creating a sense that "I am in the know" on the part of the consumer. Adroit marketing...

Yeah, I was a bit confused about their beer naming mechanism as well. Each letter is the first letter of a word, then there's a slash. So B/A/Y/S is Black As Your Soul. I sense that they're going with the "evil" or "dark" theme in their beers. T/P/D is The Perfect Drug. A lot of times I see people refer to popular beers in this way already. For example Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord is called BVDL. I noticed they also have a thing called Black Heart Society which is similar to what Cigar City does with their El Catador Club, where you get exclusive access to their beers and invite-only parties. By creating the sense of exclusiveness you draw people in. It's a good marketing strategy.

Radical Brewing talks about reiterated mashing. take first runnings from a mash, heat to strike temp, use as strike water for a 2nd grain bill.

heard Chris Colby on a Basic Brewing Radio podcast and he had some awesome advice. I went and downloaded every podcast he was on

had forgotten he had a blog. thanks for the reminder, Eric19312

Right on. Thanks GrogNerd!

So nothing more on this since 2014?
I guess I’ll be “that guy” to spark this back up again. I’ve read through all the previous comments but I’m wondering if there has been any new information on the actual process and meaning of “Double Brewed”?

4555D6EF-B00F-4630-A9DB-12423090B143.jpeg

I guess I’ll be “that guy” to spark this back up again. I’ve read through all the previous comments but I’m wondering if there has been any new information on the actual process and meaning of “Double Brewed”?
There is no actual process and no actual meaning so I doubt we'll ever get any actual information on what amounts to basically nothing.

Unfortunately in most countries you can get away with any BS in advertisements as long as they are not patently false or misleading. For example you cannot claim that alcoholic drinks are healty as it's a medically proven fact that alcohol is detrimental to a person's health. You cannot claim that beer is isotonic either as it actually isn't (it's hypertonic, as a matter of fact). Other than that it's basically free game.

confirmed that he's mashing and boiling wort, then using that wort to mash in the 'second brew'

View attachment 689457

As was mentioned, there is no such thing as "double brewed", but it sounds like reiterated mashing.

Ya I was very skeptical but thought maybe just maybe something changed in the past 6 years.

nice resurrection @VikingBrewer
seems clear that the OP was describing a reiterated mash technique. Makes sense as it was a high strength beer being produced in a nano brewery. Probably a single mash would of exceeded their mash tun capacity.

But hey that Grolsch add is interesting and I don't believe Grolsch are doing reiterated mashing, certainly no need.

And here is another one...
• Coors Edge is “double-brewed” by blending taste profiles of two brews to form one with the refreshing taste of Coors
https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/coors-edge

I always use clever marketing on my homebrew... especially when i have a batch that i just cannot stand. I tell my friends things like
"Sure, it's good" and
"Yeah, you'll love it!"
Little white lies....

😂😂😂 That’s Awesome! 👍

Back