Double brew day with photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Everybody loves photo threads, right? I did a double brew day yesterday and thought I'd take photos along the way to show my setup and how I brew two batches on the same day. I brewed an Irish Red Ale and an Oatmeal Stout. I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast for both, and I made the starter Wednesday night, intending to split it between both batches. It rode the stir plate for 36 hours, then I cold-crashed it Friday morning. Here's a shot of the brewing area of my basement.
DoubleBrewDay_001.jpg

My Maris Otter buckets were empty, so I had to open a fresh sack and refill them.
DoubleBrewDay_002.jpg

DoubleBrewDay_003.jpg

I took the yeast out of the fridge to allow it to slowly warm up to room temperature while I brewed.
DoubleBrewDay_004.jpg

Weighing out the grains for the Irish Red Ale
DoubleBrewDay_005.jpg

DoubleBrewDay_006.jpg

The grains all together in the bucket, awaiting milling.
DoubleBrewDay_007.jpg

Milling with my trusty Barley Crusher.
DoubleBrewDay_008.jpg

That's a lot of roasted barley!
DoubleBrewDay_009.jpg

A couple scoops of rice hulls for stuck-mash insurance.
DoubleBrewDay_010.jpg

A look down my street. Gorgeous weather! I do the actual brewing in the garage because I use propane.
DoubleBrewDay_011.jpg

The equipment setup in my garage.
DoubleBrewDay_012.jpg

I was preheating the mash tun with hot tap water while I was getting the grains ready.
DoubleBrewDay_013.jpg

Doughing in the first batch, the Irish Red Ale.
DoubleBrewDay_014.jpg

Giving everything a good stir.
DoubleBrewDay_015.jpg

I cover my grain bed with aluminum foil to help it hold temperature. I punch a bunch of holes in it with the temperature probe from my turkey fryer set, so that when I recirculate, the wort doesn't disturb the grain bed.
DoubleBrewDay_016.jpg

I overshot my temperature a little bit, so I added a bit of cold water to get it to settle right where it was supposed to be.
DoubleBrewDay_017.jpg

While the Irish Red Ale was mashing, I prepped the grains for the second batch, the Oatmeal Stout.
DoubleBrewDay_018.jpg

It's not an Oatmeal Stout without oatmeal!
DoubleBrewDay_019.jpg

The milled grains with the oatmeal. I added rice hulls to this batch, too.
DoubleBrewDay_020.jpg

Drawing the sparge water for the Irish Red Ale, sprinkling in 1/4 of a Campden tablet
DoubleBrewDay_021.jpg

DoubleBrewDay_022.jpg

Here I'm heating the sparge water while recirculating to clear the wort. The smaller white pail is my grant. Once the wort is clear enough, I turn off the pump and redirect the output from the grant into the pot on the floor (it has volume markings etched onto the inside) to accurately measure how much wort I'm collecting.
DoubleBrewDay_023.jpg

The wort in the grant.
DoubleBrewDay_024.jpg

Recirculating back to the mash tun. You can see how the foil protects the grain bed.
DoubleBrewDay_025.jpg

Wort's clear, collecting it in the pot now.
DoubleBrewDay_026.jpg

Perfect timing - the sparge water is hot enough.
DoubleBrewDay_027.jpg

Dumped in the sparge water and gave it another good stir. Note that I'm propping up the back end of the mash tun to increase how much wort I'm able to drain from it.
DoubleBrewDay_028.jpg

First runnings of the Irish Red Ale, already heating up while I recirculate and collect the second runnings.
DoubleBrewDay_029.jpg

Everything is in the pot now, just got to heat it to a boil.
DoubleBrewDay_030.jpg

The trick to maximizing your time when doing a double-brew day is the second burner. Here I'm using my old turkey fryer burner to heat up the strike water for the second batch (the Oatmeal Stout) while my main burner is heating the Irish Red Ale to a boil.
DoubleBrewDay_031.jpg

Dumping the grains from the Irish Red Ale into the compost bin.
DoubleBrewDay_032.jpg

Mash tun cleaned, doughing in the second batch, the Oatmeal Stout, while the Irish Red Ale boils. Stirring, hitting the temperature, etc.
DoubleBrewDay_033.jpg

DoubleBrewDay_034.jpg

DoubleBrewDay_035.jpg

The Oatmeal Stout is mashing in the cooler while the Irish Red Ale is boiling.
DoubleBrewDay_036.jpg

Setting up the chilling hardware.
DoubleBrewDay_037.jpg

Our tap water is pretty warm this time of year, so I set up a cooler full of ice water and a second pump to take over chilling once the wort temperature drops below 80.
DoubleBrewDay_038.jpg

Getting ready to collect waste water and use it to clean. The "HOT WATER OUT" goes into a bucket with a scoop of Oxyclean in it.
DoubleBrewDay_039.jpg

Adding some hops to the Irish Red Ale.
DoubleBrewDay_040.jpg

Getting the carboy ready.
DoubleBrewDay_041.jpg

Irish moss - almost done the boil.
DoubleBrewDay_042.jpg

Meanwhile, the second burner is heating the sparge water for the second batch.
DoubleBrewDay_043.jpg

Before the end of the boil, I run some of the wort through the chiller and hoses to sanitize them.
DoubleBrewDay_044.jpg

Boil finished, I move the pot up onto the table (because I'm going to siphon it into the carboy) and begin chilling. I recirculate the wort back into the boil kettle until it reaches the desired temperature.
DoubleBrewDay_045.jpg

Recirculating and chilling.
DoubleBrewDay_046.jpg

Perfect. Low-to-mid 60's. According to the timestamps on the photos, that took 9 minutes.
DoubleBrewDay_047.jpg

Siphoning into the carboy.
DoubleBrewDay_048.jpg

Time to start recirculating the second batch while I quickly clean the boil kettle.
DoubleBrewDay_049.jpg

First runnings of the second batch.
DoubleBrewDay_050.jpg

The first batch gets cozy in a water bath.
DoubleBrewDay_051.jpg

I aerate my batches with a Fizz-X rod on a drill.
DoubleBrewDay_052.jpg

DoubleBrewDay_053.jpg

The yeast had warmed up by now, so I decanted the spent wort, leaving just enough to swirl up the yeast cake.
DoubleBrewDay_054.jpg

I transferred the yeast into a graduated beaker so I can evenly split it between the batches.
DoubleBrewDay_055.jpg

I pitched half into the Irish Red Ale, then covered it with sanitized foil until the Oatmeal Stout is ready for it.
DoubleBrewDay_056.jpg

Blowoff tube affixed into a pail of Star San
DoubleBrewDay_057.jpg

A while later, the Oatmeal Stout was finished and got the same treatment.
DoubleBrewDay_058.jpg

By now, the yeast had started to separate a little, so I swirled it up a bit and pitched the remainder into the Oatmeal Stout.
DoubleBrewDay_059.jpg

Oatmeal Stout, aerated. I overshot my volume a bit on this one, so it got a blowoff tube too.
DoubleBrewDay_060.jpg

The two batches side-by-side (with a Cascade IPA from last week in the back), covered with wet t-shirts.
DoubleBrewDay_061.jpg

They are both bubbling away like crazy today, can't wait to taste them!

Wow - nice job. I love the "stir bar" note........ That would have been something handy to have considered the first 2-3 times I "pitched" my stir bar into my wort:)

Thanks for the presentation. This confirms a lot of what I do and gives me some ideas for tweaks/changes.

Love all the pics and the note about the stir bar is something I plan on copying, nicely done!

Looks like an efficient day! I keep reading over the post and I still don't see the "Stir Bar" note that has been mentioned by others. What was the tip that I'm missing?

Looks like an efficient day! I keep reading over the post and I still don't see the "Stir Bar" note that has been mentioned by others. What was the tip that I'm missing?

4th pic in the thread - sticky note on foil on top of starter flask - a reminder to not pitch the stir bar into the fermenter.

Yeah the first time I dumped a stir bar down the drain, I vowed it would never happen again, so now I attach that "STIR BAR" tag to any vessel that has a stir bar in it, to remind me. :)

so much about all grain brewing just made so much sense..thank you for this thread

Yeah the first time I dumped a stir bar down the drain, I vowed it would never happen again, so now I attach that "STIR BAR" tag to any vessel that has a stir bar in it, to remind me. :)

lol.. this is what I found after the SWMBO told me the garbage disposal has "something" in it..

... getting those little magnets out of the disposal was a pain in the @$$.

IMG_20150412_214649948.jpg

Back