Dos Equis Amber/Vienna Lager Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
Well I really enjoy a good cold 32 oz Dos Equis amber draft at my local Mexican restaurant. I understand it is basically a Vienna lager so I put together this recipe to fall within the guidelines. Do you guys think I will be close?

2lb 2row
6lb Vienna
2lb munich
.5lb crystal 60L

1 oz Hallertau (6% AA) for 60 minutes

Yeast: Either Mexican Lager yeast or German

expected OG: 1.050
expected FG: 1.013

SRM: 11
IBU: 24
ABV: 4.8%

This is what the web says. It's not much help but it kind of goes with what you have.

A robust, classic Vienna-style lager with a full body. A beer with brawn from Germany, swagger from Mexico, and the finest North American pale and roasted malts. An amber-colored refreshment that’s adventurous enough to be distinctly flavorful.

I made one earlier this year. It's almost floated. I'd recommend going with Mexican Lager yeast. It will be a bit more dry and produce much less diacetyl. My recipe for an 11 gal batch size:

~16lb Vienna
~5lb 2-row (I was going to use 100% Vienna but ran out of it)

~15 IBU Hallertauer @45min
~5 IBU Hallertauer @15min

Yeast: American Lager (but I'd go with Mexican Lager next time)

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011

SRM: 6
IBU: 20
ABV: 5.1%

I did a decoction mash which gave it an amber color and also produced great aroma and flavor:
Mash-in at 1.5qts/lb for a target temp of 127F; rest for 45min.
5min into rest, decoct 2.5gal (thick), boil for 40min, and return to raise mash to 150F; rest for 60min.
With 25min left in rest, decoct 2.5gal (thin), boil for 20min, and return to raise mash to 168F; rest for 15min.
Collect first runnings.
Sparge at 168F and collect.

Isn't dos Equis an adjunct Vienna? I thought I heard they lightened it with rice...

Back