Do's and Don'ts for Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
Summers here and I need to make a fermentation chamber. I have nothing thus far. No mini fridge, foam insulation, wood, or temperature control. So I am starting fresh and open to suggestions from those of you that have made one. My goal is to fit two fermentors (2 plastic bucket or 1 bucket/1 glass carboy) and 2 kegs. So what would you do different or what is perfect and would definitely repeat.

Do you want something easy or a DIY challenge?

Easiest would be to get a used fridge and a Johnson 419 controller. If you are feeling adventurous, get a used wall a/c and build an insulated cabinet.

Do you want something easy or a DIY challenge?

Easiest would be to get a used fridge and a Johnson 419 controller. If you are feeling adventurous, get a used wall a/c and build an insulated cabinet.

Feel adventurous, document the build, and show it to others to answer when they ask you. Set the bar for us. Show me how you did it. I love watching that. I hereby commission you to build the best ferm chamber ever. No matter what the cost. Do it!!!

Just a quick ? Which one would use more power a mini fridge with a insulated box attached or a window ac unit with the same box? (this should help both of us)

Chest freezer ($150 from Lowes)
Ranco dual stage temp controller
Heating pad from RiteAid

I get the temps I want summer and winter with the ability to cold crash.

Of all my brewing equipment this was the biggest bang for the buck. Proper temp control = significantly better beer.

a window A/C unit is built to remove a LOT of heat with semi-constant influx. a mini-fridge is built to maintain temperature in a very small space, with very low heat influx.

you cant answer the question "which uses more power" unless comparing two specific units. however, a mini-fridge is going to be running full blast most of the time trying to keep up, while the A/C will have no problem removing a lot of heat, and then it will come on every once in a while, as needed.

The easiest, and arguably the best, solution would be to get a new, or used, small chest freezer and a temp controller.

First, you have to have a chilling device, which is going to cost you money. Why not just buy one ready to go? Also, you'll need a controller, and you can dink around with custom electronics if you like, but honestly, the price of an inexpensive controller makes it an easy choice.

IMO It's just not worth the hassle to build your own fermentation chamber when you can buy the stuff very easily. Then again, if you just like playing with that stuff, have fun, but you're not going to save much time or money.

Use this temp controller and build a box big enough to fit one of these without the stand..."for expansion" :)

At least, that's what I plan on doing. I'll probably pump from the ferm chamber to the kegs to keep the height low, but I have a height limitation from SWMBO.

Back