don't you hate it when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrog

Reaction score
...every dark beer from a mild to a porter and stout that you brew is compared to Guinness. I understand that most people have never had another type of dark beer but my beer is night and day to the flavour of Guinness. lol ok a weak rant but still :) Anyone else have this problem?

I usually respond by saying "You think guiness is 'heavy'? It has less alcohol and less calories than budweiser."

That usually throws them for a loop!

My brother said my nut brown (which accidentally came out chocolatey) tasted just like guinness...I frowned.

Ugh, "heavy." I cannot stand that description of a beer, especially when the person clearly doesn't know what a heavy beer is.

I've served a Bitter to someone before and they go, "Oh, it's pretty good, kinda heavy though."

My dad is a "light" (in terms of weight descriptions) beer drinker through and through. Anything with excessive flavor he does not like. He likes my kolsh, Darm english mild, ambers, but stays away from my stouts haha. He is up front about it so it doesn't bother me. He also likes me to carbonat to near champagne levels.

Its fine though, I would rather give him something I know he would enjoy rather than trying to make him like the same exact beers I like.

Of the beer ignorant people I know, "heavy" usually means too much flavor, but heavy just sounds like a manlier reason to not want to drink it.

Dark beer is just a victim of advertising. If it's not piss yellow and fizzy, then it'll fill you up in one pint! And then how will I ever get super drunk and post embarrassing pictures of myself on the internet?

My father is the worst with this. He doesn't drink much, but he actually likes the beers of mine that he tries. For some reason, he just insists on comparing them ALL to Guinness. He even told me an American Wheat tasted like a "light colored Guinness." Sometimes I make sure he tastes particular beers just so I can laugh at him.

Last weekend I had a party with about 25 BMC drinkers. I got a suprising amount of positive feedback on my brews but 5 or 6 different people said that my toasted coconut porter tasted like Guinness. I think the only thing they both have in common is they are not yellow and they are both served on nitrogen. I think the ESB I had on tap was alot closer to Guinness than that porter was. From now on, I'll keep a sixer of Guinness around and if anyone says that about my stout/porter, I'll make them do a taste comparison.

"You think guiness is 'heavy'? It has less alcohol and less calories than budweiser."

Just FYI, per the Anheiser-Busch Web site, Bubweiser has 40 calories per 100ml.

Per the Guiness Web site, Guiness has 43 calories per 100ml.

You were right that Bud is 4.82% alcohol compared to Guiness at 4.27%.

Sorry, I'm just OC about misinformation, since 82% of statistics are made up on the spot 43% of the time.

Seriously, though, my SWMBO thinks that Ambers, Reds, and IPAs are "Dark Beers." I have explained to her 5,000,000 times that they are about the same gravity and calories as BMCs, but she won't listen. I don't even try anymore. I'm whipped.

I hate it when people expect everyone else to be as informed as they think they are.

_

I once asked a buddy if he wanted to try my homebrew (I was offering and APA and a scottish ale). He said no. I asked why. He said he does not like "flavored beer". At least he was honest. With the thousands and thousands of different flavors offered by different breweries both within and out of the style guidelines, I an completely dumbfounded by his response. I'm mostly sad for him, tho.

I brought a keg of my AWARD WINNING hefe to my father-in-law's 60th and one of his good fishing buddies had a couple glasses. The fishing buddy (BMCer) told me if I keep practicing I could make some good beer. :confused:

Just FYI, per the Anheiser-Busch Web site, Bubweiser has 40 calories per 100ml.

Per the Guiness Web site, Guiness has 43 calories per 100ml.

You were right that Bud is 4.82% alcohol compared to Guiness at 4.27%.

Sorry, I'm just OC about misinformation, since 82% of statistics are made up on the spot 43% of the time.

Ah, when I researched it for a paper I wrote in "Brewing Sciences and Technologies" (yeah, VT has some awesome courses), my numbers were Bud with 145 calories per 12 oz serving and Guiness with 126 calories per 12 oz serving.

It may be outdated now, but I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was pulling it out of my ass ;)

A guy at work asked me about my dark beers. I told him i didnt make to many stouts or porters. He said that he wasnt talking about the gunis (thats the way he pronounced it) he would like to try the last one i gave him again. It was a blonde ale. None more black then a blonde ale ;)

I brought a keg of my AWARD WINNING hefe to my father-in-law's 60th and one of his good fishing buddies had a couple glasses. The fishing buddy (BMCer) told me if I keep practicing I could make some good beer. :confused:

Wow, he may not have meant it as bad as it sounded, but thats a pretty rude thing to say. I think some people may give homebrew a stigma that it's never going to be as good as commercial brew. My brother-in-law however likes a couple of my extract brews that I thought were pretty lousy, but didn't like my SNPA clone that was nearly spot on (too hoppy for him)

Ah, when I researched it for a paper I wrote in "Brewing Sciences and Technologies" (yeah, VT has some awesome courses), my numbers were Bud with 145 calories per 12 oz serving and Guiness with 126 calories per 12 oz serving.

It may be outdated now, but I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was pulling it out of my ass ;)

My potential sister in law took that class at UVM. She graduated in 2010 I think (nutrition major).

I had a BMCer in the family try some Hefeweizen... but to him it was just beer. That side of the family is Irish, though, so they know Guinness well. (I'm afraid of how my first stout will be taken).

I would like to ask, "THEN WHY THE F**K DID YOU DRINK MORE THAN ONE GLASS, JACKA**?!?

I don't care if you don't like my beer. I like it. Just don't drink it and then tell me how your Miller light is better because they use all three hops or I should try brewing it a 32.5* like Coors. /end rant

I would be offended if someone insulted my work that I was proud of. I guess this is why my mother used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
Thick skin is a must in all creative endeavors. The criticism could have been done a little more constructively, but negative feedback can be a lot more useful than the usual, "I like it" you'll normally get when giving someone free beer.

but negative feedback can be a lot more useful than the usual, "I like it" you'll normally get when giving someone free beer.

This. I have no problem having my friends over to try my beer, but I never get any useful feedback out of them. I've got one friend that will often take a pint, say he likes it and then only drink half of it. I'd much rather he tell me what he thinks is wrong with it.

A dubbel I made recently was recently (FG: 1.008) called "sweet" and "heavy" by someone at my office. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I think he was thinking that the esters produced by the 1214 were "sweet" and interpreted that as "heavy".

I did raise my eyebrows a bit when he said that all American beers were "crap" and that hops should not be used for anything besides their preservative qualities in beer, and that Germans made the best beer because of their "purity of ingredients".

You should also ask them, "which Guinness? The swill here in the States, or the good stuff in the UK/Ireland?" The pint I had in Oxford was alltogether a different beer than here in the States.

You should also ask them, "which Guinness? The swill here in the States, or the good stuff in the UK/Ireland?" The pint I had in Oxford was alltogether a different beer than here in the States.

Diffenetly the US version for me anyways.

Thick skin is a must in all creative endeavors. The criticism could have been done a little more constructively, but negative feedback can be a lot more useful than the usual, "I like it" you'll normally get when giving someone free beer.

I would consider constructive criticism to be nice. If you ask someone how is it, they could respond, "I didn't like it. I thought it was too bitter" or they could respond "don't quit your day job." The first response could help the person who asked the question while the second one did nothing to help.

I would consider constructive criticism to be nice. If you ask someone how is it, they could respond, "I didn't like it. I thought it was too bitter" or they could respond "don't quit your day job." The first response could help the person who asked the question while the second one did nothing to help.
The second helps you build the thick skin you're going to need. Gotta learn to let **** like that slide.

I just let the comment roll off my back. I figured at least he had the opportunity to drink outside of BMC. Plus it's something others have paid me to acquire the ingredients for (brewed it for free ;) ), so no worries.

Sometimes I think we as homebrewers take ourselves too seriously, myself included.

It's sometimes difficult to remeber that the vast majority of people drink only BMC and have nothing other to base their expectations off of other than the Guiness or Heineken they once had on a whim. It's unfortunate and frustrating and I mostly feel sorry for them.

When you get the chance to turn somebody on to a craftbrew be it commercial or homebrew make sure your prepared for anything form an epiffany moment to having your cherished favorite poured down the drain.

Back