Don't have a secondary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnomyaR

Reaction score
Is it okay to let my Octoberfest set for 3 in the bucket before I bottle it? I heard it will make it just as clear.

Noob

Sorry. Yes 3 weeks and thankyou. Is there a time limit? Like how can it set before it turns rancid?

Noob

WHOA!!! I'd be afraid it be poisen!!

Noob

There are a bunch of differing opinions among homebrewers about leaving beer on the yeast cake for long periods. But I don't think anyone will tell you the beer will be unsafe to drink if you let it set a very long time. It just may not taste the way you expect or want it to taste.

Personally, I like to pull most of my beers (ales) off the yeast cake within a about 2 weeks (8-12 days normally). Some may pull them off sooner, some later, but 2 weeks is usually safe. If you have a hydrometer, check the specific gravity of the beer at about 12 days. If the reading is the same at around day 14 the beer is probably done fermenting and is ready for bottling.

How long a beer should sit in the fermenter is largely dependent on the kind of beer you are making. Big, heavy beers such as porters and stouts can usually stand a longer time on the yeast cake. Lighter beers such as cream ales, APA's, etc. are usually better if you pull them off the yeast as soon as fermentation has finished and serve them fresh. None of this is chiseled in stone, but it is a good general rule to work from.

Gotcha! So really it's just fermenting in there. It can age in the bottles, huh.

Noob

Gotcha! So really it's just fermenting in there. It can age in the bottles, huh.

Yes. Once fermentation is finished the only thing left for the beer to do is to age and let the flavors meld and mellow. Most of that can and will happen in the bottle. Leaving the beer on the yeast cake will allow that yeast to continue to influence the flavor of the beer. Some say that influence is good, others not so much. I, for one, prefer to get the beer off the yeast as soon as fermentation is finished, which usually occurs at about 8-12 days.

The important thing, if you are bottling, is to make certain the fermentation has completely finished before you bottle. When you add a little sugar at bottling time this will re-start the fermentation in a very small degree and cause the beer to carbonate properly. If fermentation has not finished when you bottle, that extra dose of sugar will cause the yeast to go nuts and you'll have some seriously over-carbonated beer. Maybe even some bottle-grenades which can be dangerous.

Whether to use a secondary fermenter or not has become a religious argument. IMHO it depends on what you're trying to do. I brew simple low gravity session ales (no fruit, no dry hopping, etc.). I've never used a secondary. I let it sit in primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle, let it sit for 2-3 weeks, refrigerate for a few days, and drink. Depending on the style of beer it may or may not get better with really long conditioning times. As Puddlethumper said many of the bitters and milder flavored ales taste better fresh.

I've heard experts say that there is nothing that can live in beer that can harm you. It might not taste very good, though.

The short answer is don't worry about leaving the beer sit in the the primary an extra week or two.

I don't add fruit. I'll dry hop in the primary. Any long-term aging happens in a corny keg or in the bottles. As a result, I do not use a secondary at all.

Great input guys! So glad I found this app. Very helpful info. You guys are awesome!!

Noob

I didn't even notice. Been brewing 2 years now and I just remembered I have brewing noon in my Sig.

Back