Dont have a big enough pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
Hello im new to brewing beer. I now have q 5 gal beer kit. I am reading and deciding how to do this. I do not have a pot big enough to do the boil can i half the recipe then combine when its done cooling? I have done wine and mead. The beer is all new to me.

If it's an extract kit, and if your pot is big enough to boil about 3 or 3.5 gallons, you should be okay because you'll add a couple gallons of water to the carboy after your boil in order to bring the wort volume up to about 5 gallons.

If you need a cheap, big pot, Staples has some for super super cheap that you can order online: http://www.staples.com/Pinch-AP-32-32-qt-Aluminum-Stock-Pot/product_1115500

I don't think you can find them any cheaper than that - I wish I had known about it before I dropped as much money as I did on my pots.

But regarding your question on halfing the recipe and combining when it's done - sure, but I think you'd be risking infection by having to open up the carboy to dump in the second round of wort.

before I had a large enough pot, I would top off with bottled water I had kept in the fridge

helped chill the wort to pitch temps

So then i can boil and add water to secondary and it will not change the taste. The directions says to add two gal or full boil of six gal. It is a stock pot maybe five gal. kit has 6 lbs of liquid malt and grains i need to concider the volume they take up too. So i dont have a boil over mess. Beer is called Front Porch pale ale.

Boil however much the recipe says, and after its cooled just add the cooled wort and extra water to the carboy to bring it up to 5 or 6 gallons or whatever. Mix it up then take a gravity sample.

The water you add:have it in the fridge before you add it to the carboy, and that way it will help drop your wort temp faster when you mix the two

Back