Done with glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use SS Brew Buckets. I realize the cost is somewhat prohibitive, but I'm done with plastic. Scratches are no longer a concern and the ability to maintain positive pressure into the fermentor prevents the chance of introducing oxygen to the wort when cold crashing and racking.

++SS Brew Bucket

I have one that I've used now a couple of times. A real pleasure and when I need to move it, I don't get that feeling of impending doom that I get when I move my glass carboys. I like being able to get the beer out without using a siphon.

I'm going to continue using glass carboys, but I have a few new rules: I ALWAYS put on pair of work gloves before handling them (I bought a pair specifically for this and keep them in the brewery) and I keep them all in milk crates.

I also got into an SSBrewTech conical and that thing is awesome. Of course, I dedicate a used freezer conversion for temp ctl, but having done that, I can do anything I want with the fermentation including ramp and lagering.

For those of you looking to get free pickle buckets, I have done this and have had an incredibly hard time getting the pickle smell out. Even when you think they smell ok, run some water in there and let it stand. To me I still smell pickles.

I brined a turkey in one I had washed multiple times, and left to air out for month. I gave it a sniff, seemed ok so in when the water, salt, sugar and the turkey. It smelled like pickles in my fridge the next day. Turkey came out ok, but not sure a beer would.

Go to a deli, ask for buckets they get frosting in. Much easier to clean and the smell does not linger.

Cupcake porter > pickle porter any day of the week :p

I talked with my local jimmy johns a few days ago. They are going to call me when they get their next bucket in. After thinking about it though, I'm going to get a better bottle for my primary bc i like seeing if my yeast is doing well or if my beer is contaminated before it's time to rack / bottle. The pickle bucket will be just used as a grain bucket and conversation piece.

plastic buckets. . . cheap, simple, and reusable for my other farm chores. I often have a whole basement bubbling away at different stages of ferm. I also don't worry about the seal being airtight. As long as you're keeping the dust out, you really don't need things to be airtight. I use an airlock, but often it's just plugging the whole in the lid, and doesn't even bubble much. Works for me. . .
P

I am in the process of converting to sanke kegs for all fermenting. Plan to use 1/2 barrels for 10 gallon batches and 1/4 barrels for 5 gallon batches. Spear was easy to remove, find a used keg on craiglist or from a brewery for a little more then a nice glass carboy ~$50. Clean like a carboy but can't break them and no issues with O2.

The first two or so times you use them they smell. But after that it just smells like beer. I haven't ever noticed any pickle flavor or aroma in my brews so Im gonna continue to use them.

For those of you looking to get free pickle buckets, I have done this and have had an incredibly hard time getting the pickle smell out. Even when you think they smell ok, run some water in there and let it stand. To me I still smell pickles.

I brined a turkey in one I had washed multiple times, and left to air out for month. I gave it a sniff, seemed ok so in when the water, salt, sugar and the turkey. It smelled like pickles in my fridge the next day. Turkey came out ok, but not sure a beer would.

Go to a deli, ask for buckets they get frosting in. Much easier to clean and the smell does not linger.

Cupcake porter > pickle porter any day of the week :p

I've never had a brew come out with pickle taste/aroma. And I usually just wash one good time after I get them before brewing.

Edit: But If you have the money to spend I guess for the piece of mind it's worth it. I just like to save money when I can.

Not sure if anyone else has chimed in, but I've been using a 30L Speidel fermenter and I've been really happy with it so far.

Back