Donation jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have a donation jar for your friends that routinely suck down your home brew. Or do you feel that it's part of your mission in life to donate your time and money to the enjoyment of others? :mug:

I used to be the latter... becoming the former. lol.

If you want to share your beer, you can either give it away or sell it. To sell requires licensing and tax registration. Some folks feel that they can disguise sales as "donations". It convinces the "donors", and even some "donees" think it is OK but it wouldn't fool an enforcement agent.

Even giving it away fails to comply with the "personal use" homebrew restriction but I doubt that anyone would try to enforce that - unless it was entangled with a "donation" scheme.

I'm 100% happy to have friends, family, and co-workers drink my beer. I think, unless you have someone who's constantly over-consuming your beer, that asking for money is lame and honestly embarrassing. If the cost is an issue then you should limit the amount someone can have.

That said, one thing I have changed is that I no longer give beer to be drank elsewhere. What I mean primarily by that is these days my father-in-law wants me to pour him a beer and leave it on the hallway ledge (he lives in the attic, don't ask lol) so he can squirrel it away and have it with dinner or whatever. I've grown tired of that as HE is the one that is being anti-social and refusing to stick around and partake in family activities. So whenever he asks for beer that way I give him whatever bottle of beer I have laying around in the fridge that I bought and didn't like.

Seriously, I don't think it's that hard to sit and enjoy the beer with the person that made it and the rest of your family. So if you can't drink it in our company F YOU you ain't getting my beer!!

Rev.

Yeah... beyond the "It is illegal" aspect of taking "donations" - I am glad to have people drink my beer. Then I get to brew more and rotate the stock. That said, I brew a lot, generally have 6 kegs on tap, don't have lots of other demands on my time, etc. I also brew all-grain, buy in bulk and reuse yeast like crazy..... so, I can brew pretty cheap overall.
If I was barely squeaking out enough brew for myself, I would probably get a little edgy if a couple people were demolishing it. In that case, I would just not serve it unless I had plenty.

charge a service fee for using a solo cup when they come over. Whatever happens to be poured into the cup is gravity's fault.

I proudly serve my beer to my friends because I want them to have it. I will never take money from them for my beer. wtf.

If you can't really afford to be giving your beer away I suggest you not do so.

In a long debate with TTB while I was helping out at a tap room locally, the conclusion was much like obie's, in my case, I have a recipe printed out from BeerSmith and when the grain shows up, I make beer. People drinking it is of no concern to the TTB, I cannot charge for any part of beer... period.

The rest is all in the law but you have to interpret the "personal or family use" part.

Sec. 25.205
Production

(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale. An adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer. This exemption does not authorize the production of beer for use contrary to state or local law.

(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
(c) Partnerships except as provided in Sec. 25.207, corporations or associations may not produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use.

(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1334, as amended (26 U.S.C. 5053))

This was last updated on September 17, 1999

I enjoy sharing my beer, but no one I am friends/coworkers with is greedy. If they want a bunch they offer to buy some bottles off of me. My old boss was going to buy a kegerator and I was going to brew 10gal batches and split the cost (well, maybe more like 70/30 ;)) with him, but he changed jobs sadly.

Funny how these things always go the route of legal discussion. Many things people do frequently in their lives are technically illegal (jaywalking for example), but I doubt the government is going to break down his door for a donation jar. Can we just offer our opinions here without playing lawyer? :cool:

Rev.

Legal discussions over whether you can charge money to your friends drive me CRAZY. Who really thinks the TTB is going to knock down the door of some college kid because he has a tip jar on the keezer. Nobody believes that I hope.

Ethical discussions are way more appropriate - and likely to hurt feelings, cause deleted posts, mod warnings - generally a lot more interesting:)

Just wondering how many of you have a donation jar for your friends that routinely suck down your home brew. Or do you feel that it's part of your mission in life to donate your time and money to the enjoyment of others? :mug:

I used to be the latter... becoming the former. lol.

If they are drinking too much just be open and honest with them. Friendships are like any other interpersonal relationships. They require clear communication.

I would personally be offended if a friend suggested that I pay for drinks at his/her place. You are playing host at that point.

You should teach them to brew, then you can drink theirs as well. Or get them to come help you brew, so they are helping with the time and effort.

Another alternative is suggest that they need to bring some beer to share as well.

charge a service fee for using a solo cup when they come over. Whatever happens to be poured into the cup is gravity's fault.

I'm pretty sure most states would still consider that as a beer sale. You're receiving money and giving out alcohol.

I agree with the "playing host" point of view. I enjoy having friends over and sharing my passion with them. Most are delighted my passion comes in liquid form :) As a guest, I would never want them to shell out for anything I might choose to share with them.

OTOH, I have thought that some time during the Octoberfest season, when I had more beer on tap than I could possibly think about drinking myself, I would pull the kegerator outdoors one weekend, invite a bunch of people over and put a donation jar there to be donated to a good cause.

Sounds like a great idea, right? Also illegal. At least in the State of CT, even a charity can not "sell" homebrew for fundraising purposes.

Last edited:
I'm going to start one... but it's going to be a big ol' 1 gal jar. People come over and bring their own beer, whenever they have one of mine, they have to open one of theirs and pour it in the jar.

If someone happens to kick the keg, they have to drink the donation jar.

I've never done one. I have one friend who will occasionally supply me with a piece of equipment (he sent me a bottle tree and washer for my birthday) or clean bottles, but I'd never go soliciting for funds. If there was ever anyone that I felt was really taking advantage of the freebies, I'd just ask them to slow down.

Now, if someone ever came up and said, "hey, if I bought you the ingredients for a batch of ____, would you brew it?" I might consider that.

I willingly give my beers away to whosoever wishes to try or quaff them. However, I have found some friends that are less than eager to return donor bottles, so they usually get skipped the next time a batch is ready. :p

Part of being a good host is having the grace not to request reimbursement for trivial things.

I'm going to start one... but it's going to be a big ol' 1 gal jar. People come over and bring their own beer, whenever they have one of mine, they have to open one of theirs and pour it in the jar.

If someone happens to kick the keg, they have to drink the donation jar.

I worked for this little brewery during craft beer week several years back and they had this maintenance guy that would do small jobs for them here and there. And he would bring this 1g pickle jar in and just fill it from the tap like a growler and go home. I told the boss that he did this and he was like, "Oh Smitty? Yeah he's crazy". :drunk:

I'm not sure I would consider someone who wanted money for their homebrew to be a friend of mine. I can't drink all the beer I make- who am I making it for anyway?

Can we just offer our opinions here without playing lawyer? :cool:

Rev.

I'm all for that. We just need to recognize that the people who are "playing lawyer" are the non-attorneys who are offering advice on how to break the law. Such advice had better be countered by valid comments that such things ARE unlawful. Does the HBT community want someone to get into a bind because he believed and acted on bad advice found on HBT?

Devil's advocate here. I'm wondering what kind of colorful comments I would make if I were to show up to a friends house who had a 'donation' jar next to his tap. I'm no economist, but I think that jar would be lighter by the time I left.

I'm all for that. We just need to recognize that the people who are "playing lawyer" are the non-attorneys who are offering advice on how to break the law. Such advice had better be countered by valid comments that such things ARE unlawful. Does the HBT community want someone to get into a bind because he believed and acted on bad advice found on HBT?

omfg. Come on. Cut it out youguys. Tip jar on keezer will not get you time in the bighouse. As much as I think it's a punk idea, it's not an issue with the law.

Here is mine

image.jpg

So if my wife lives with me I can legally brew 200 gallons a year?

Back