Doing some calculations pre-beer day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
So I'm planning on making an Oatmeal Stout. I'm new to AG, but I understand the mechanics of it and I've been reviewing all the guides. My question is as follows:

The sticky note on the top of the forum talks about having a grist ratio of 1.25:1 qt/lbs of grain. So I plugged it into the equation to determine the strike temperature for the grain. The answer I received was 170F. I remember reading that 170F is the temperature generally used for sparging because that's the temperature that stops the "breaking down process" (sorry forgot what it's called).

Anyway, a) should I use 1.25 qt/lbs and have a strike temperature of 170F or b) should I raise the grist ratio to 1.5 qt/lbs and have a strike temperature of 168F? or is there a third option that I'm not thinking about?

Strike temp is determined by the temp of the grain and amount, the temp of the tun and the temp you ultimately want to mash at as well as the ratio of water you use, it's not as simple as you are asking. The temperature and amounts will determine how much the water temp will drop and settle at once added to begin the mash.

Sorry I'm on my phone so I don't have all the math in my head but software like BeerSmith or some of the online calculators will help you figure out the proper strike temp.

Sent from the Commune

If you're going AG with cooler mash setup, and have a high mash temp lets say 156 or so. Strike temp could easily be 168+. I wouldn't worry about the brief time it spends at that temp, adding grains and a new vessel will quickly lower the equilibrium temp to hopefully match the intended mash temp.

I biab so I require a closer strike temp than traditional setups.

Tips. Take notes. Record strike temp used, volume. Mash temp start, end. Mash duration. Og. Preboil volume, post boil volume.

Have boiling water on hand, 2 qt or so. And some cold water in a pitcher. Use to adjust mash temp if needed. Pour slowly, stir vigorously.

170 sounds right for strike water. The grain temperature and stirring will bring it down to you intended 152 or whatever your mash temp is. It may be off by a degree or two, but this is one thing that takes practice with All-grain brewing and is different for everyone and their system.

As far as sparge water, I always aim for 169 degrees. That means I have to start with hotter water, say 180. It again will drop temperature when you add the water because the grist is cooler. This is also something that will vary depending on system and just takes practice to dial in. Good luck on your brewday and let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers!

Back