D'oh! I bought hopped malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm making the Uckleduckfay Oatmeal Stout recipe by Papazian, and it called for 3.3 lbs. John Bull Dark Malt Extract. It didn't specify hopped/unhopped, so I'm assuming it means unhopped. However, I accidentally purchased the hopped kind. The recipe calls for 2 oz. Willamette hops; should I just put in 1 oz to compensate, or none at all?

Am I right in saying that hopped-extract kits are generally not designed to be boiled, and that therefore the hops that are in those kits will probably be mostly boiled away after a 60 minute boil?

Or, am I wrong?

But is an oatmeal stout supposed to be really hoppy? I thought it was a maltier flavor.

I used a hopped extract before along with an oz of pellet hops. I would say the "hopping" of the extract is not equal to one oz of hops when boiled for an hour.

Just use the 2 oz. of hops you have along with the extract. If you are doing a partial boil you won't get very good utilization anyway. The malt will still come through strong.

Boils longer than 10 mins tend to drive off hop flavour but not so much bitterness, if you are stuck with the extract why not add the wilamette hops in for the last 15 mins of the boil to increase and improve lost hop flavour but without causing excessive bitterness.

Concur with all. Throw it all in. I am of the impression that hopped extracts are not going to carry much of a hop load anyway. The beers i've tasted that used them all lacked any significant hoppiness.

The bitterness of the black patent malt will eliminate the need for any extra bitterness of the hopped extract. If you wanted to... the best adjustment would be to add your bittering hops @ 30 mins instead of 60 mins. This will add just a tad more hops flavor than the recipe though, but it will ballance the bitterness better.

I just think that if you follow the recipe, you will get a brew that is a little overly bitter.

dougjones31 said:
The bitterness of the black patent malt will eliminate the need for any extra bitterness of the hopped extract. If you wanted to... the best adjustment would be to add your bittering hops @ 30 mins instead of 60 mins. This will add just a tad more hops flavor than the recipe though, but it will ballance the bitterness better.

I just think that if you follow the recipe, you will get a brew that is a little overly bitter.

That's possible, but my yeast attenuation tends to be a little sub-par, so there may be some extra sugar in there to balance it. :)

Back