Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with a few dogs has been that the first couple of nights I sleep on the couch next to the crate, just to comfort the puppy when it wakes up. After that, I have used a ticking clock with pretty good success.

Few days late to get in on the action.... but here are my two ReinDawgs!

Reindawgs2.jpg

So I had to get rid of a dirt pile in the corner of the yard this morning. Last night the new guy, Pango, used that pile to launch over the wall. Other than that, all good. He slept quietly in his crate last night. I took him for a long walk this morning and he has pretty decent leash manners and isn't bothered by other dogs barking.
He can damn near eat tennis balls.
Both dogs are quietly chilling on the floor right now. First impressions: his mannerisms are just like the old girl when she was young. This should work out just fine.

our dog sleeps in the bedroom, not on the bed though.
Keeshonds are rather notorious for going nuts when they can't be close to you.

She'll sleep the day through when we are at work, but when we are in the house, she has to be near.

Could you try a baby gate instead of closing a door? I seem to remember one of our dogs going nutso when a door was closed, but was totally cool with a baby gate blocking their way.
I tried that with Sage - he was allowed in the basement, but not upstairs.

Have you ever seen a 3 month old Lab climb a baby gate?

I have.

We've placed a radio in there a couple of nights ago but that doesn't seem to have made much difference yet. His crate is open all the time- he'll quite happily go and rest in there during the day. It's only at night when the kitchen door is closed that he goes Bat Shirt crazy. I think high value treats and building that duration up is the plan. Sadly leaving the kitchen door open isn't an option as he'd have free roam of the house - the rest of the ground floor is open plan. A baby gate is on order to stop his mad dashes for upstairs when we leave him in the lounge area lol
With Sage, I would put him in his crate for the night, and lay on the floor next to it surfing the 'net on my laptop until I knew he was good and asleep. And then I'd ninja my way upstairs so I could go to bed. If I was dead quiet, I could get away with it.

We have lazy, good for nothing, Cairn Terrier....she's stubborn, willful, and sometimes smelly...loves cats, hates coons except to wrestle with, and will eat anything you hand her. Worthless as tits on a boar hog....worst dog I've ever had. But....she is always amusing and good company. Her name is PITA....the name fits and it is an accurate discription.

We have lazy, good for nothing, Cairn Terrier....she's stubborn, willful, and sometimes smelly...loves cats, hates coons except to wrestle with, and will eat anything you hand her. Worthless as tits on a boar hog....worst dog I've ever had. But....she is always amusing and good company. Her name is PITA....the name fits and it is an accurate discription.

Sounds like my kind of dog. Nothing beats a terrier for sheer attitude.

I tried that with Sage - he was allowed in the basement, but not upstairs.

Have you ever seen a 3 month old Lab climb a baby gate?

I have.

Fair enough haha. Our Boston is too tiny to climb over (but probably could if determined), and our rather large puppy is too chicken-**** to touch anything that might fall over and make a loud noise.

With Sage, I would put him in his crate for the night, and lay on the floor next to it surfing the 'net on my laptop until I knew he was good and asleep. And then I'd ninja my way upstairs so I could go to bed. If I was dead quiet, I could get away with it.

I'm not ninja enough for that with Tovey- he just jumped up because he heard me shift in my seat.

Sadly the baby gate instead of door closure didn't work so well last night either- just going to have to bear it out and persevere with training during the day. [emoji42][emoji42]

We've had this gal for about a year now, boxer-pit mix, based on what the vet told us she should be about 2 now. She was super skinny when we got her, her poor little head looked gigantic on her frame. She's super sweet but has a ton of energy...we're really lucky she takes it out as whining and pouting instead of destroying things. That's my 6'4" old roommate shes sitting on in the second pic

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

Thanks! We got a cheap comforter because we knew it was coming, haha. She's a big chewer and loves beef bones, and they also happen to be WAY cheaper than anything else we've tried. So we just deal with the mess. She didn't care for an antler chew at all. Loves rawhides but we try to limit them, we buy the 20 pack at Costco which is a steal for $1 a piece. Also loves bully sticks but they last like 15 minutes with her.

Thanks! We got a cheap comforter because we knew it was coming, haha. She's a big chewer and loves beef bones, and they also happen to be WAY cheaper than anything else we've tried. So we just deal with the mess. She didn't care for an antler chew at all. Loves rawhides but we try to limit them, we buy the 20 pack at Costco which is a steal for $1 a piece. Also loves bully sticks but they last like 15 minutes with her.

These should last significantly longer. My Aussies have been working on a pair of them for 3 years and they are barely chipped. I like to stuff them to the center with peanut butter and let the dogs have a go at it.

MC

Last edited by a moderator:
These should last significantly longer. My Aussies have been working on a pair of them for 3 years and they are barely chipped. I like to stuff them to the center with peanut butter and let the dogs have a go at it.

MC
Yeah, cow femurs are a staple for dog owners that have chewers. Easier to get from Amazon and whatnot but REAL butchers hold them back just for dog owners for much less.

No better way to win a dog owners meat business.

MC

Oh wow, I'll have to give those a try. She loves peanut butter stuffed into one of those Kong extreme chews. Have your aussies tried antler chews before? I think they were too plain tasting or something because she just never touched it.

Meet Rocky, an 11 week old toy Australian Sheperd that my wife and I brought home last night. This is our first puppy so wish me luck. He might be little but boy does he have a set of lungs on him! We made it through the first night so that's something haha. Can't wait for this little guy to grow up enough to become my brewing partner.

image_zpssvqwysf2.jpg

image_zpszsmquipd.jpg

Latest posts

Back