dog eats my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwigbrew

Reaction score
Ok this hasn't happened.. Yet. I got a good idea for my hop garden, but my fear is it will grow into the wire on the dog pin. This will look cool, but will my dog have problems if they consume the plant?

Ok this hasn't happened.. Yet. I got a good idea for my hop garden, but my fear is it will grow into the wire on the dog pin. This will look cool, but will my dog have problems if they consume the plant?

very possible that it could end up a disaster.

some dogs have a fatal reaction to hops, experience sudden hyperthermia, and die.

Some dogs have no problems with hops.

I want to clarify... if my memory is correct, it's not common for dogs to have the fatal reaction, but it is possible. There have been at least 2 people that I can recall on this forum who have had their dogs die from eating hops.

Read and keep in mind the symtoms of Malignant Hypothermia in Canines.

Not saying your dog will succumb but, if he does YOUR knowledge of teh condition may prove to aid a veterinarian in keeping the dog alive. Otherwise, a vet may likely be trodden down a path of misdiagnosis.

My dog's never been interested in eating my homegrown hops.

However, if you have a compost bin, a dog might be interested in hops that were recently used and are thus coated in sweet wort. Best to keep used hops away from dogs.

Same as alexdagrate. My first season I put a bowl of fresh hops on the ground. Imagine a bowl of popcorn, but hops instead. Left it on the floor while I watched movies. None of my dogs showed any interest in.

I've read that some types of dogs have reactions, not all dogs. You'll likely only know this after the fact. So to be safe, some kind of 'bowl test' like I did might help you hedge your bets. If your dogs are interested in eating them, you might want to put up some kind of wire. If they have no interest, get crazy like me (14 hops in my back yard).

Better to proactively solve you're problem rather than find your dog sick or dead.

Whenever I open a package of hops, my dog comes running. She loves the smell to no end. Unfortunately, I don't have a place in my yard to grow hops where she can't access, so I'm out of luck for now. Don't know if she'll have any reaction to eating them, but I certainly don't want to take the chance. Dog = 1; Hop Garden = 0

From what I have researched the reason for the warning of dogs eating hops is associated with pellets. Pellets are concentrated and large amounts can be consumed quickly. I would not let the plant grow on the dog pen but remember that the first few feet of the bine is clear of hops and leaves. Once the plant is established the dogs would gave to be able to reach 4' in the air to get to the first leaves and hops. If you want you can let your local vet know that you are a hop grower and they should be able to either keep some medication on hand or give you a better understanding of the symptoms and hazards.

Couple years back during my college days my doby ate one of my house plants.. She almost died, I had to induce vomminting and pump charcole into her.. Needless to say all she did for a couple days is sit around on the couch and eat,, munchies.. But I thought I was gonna grow my hops out front on this old wire fence. But it's only 4 ft high could I weave it to make it grow horizontal?

You can let them grow horizontal. However it is a lot of work. Hops want to go up but they will go where wrap them but it is a constant process.

Some of you may have seen my post several weeks back, however, for the OP ---> My golden retriever died from a reaction to eating spent hops Superbowl Sunday.

I know it doesn't affect all dogs, but it did mine (fwiw, i have a second golden who is usually the one who eats everything in her path, hard to say whether she consumed any that night, but she did not get sick).

And if your dog isn't affected, who's to say your neighbor's dog won't come over and try them out? I for one will lean towards the knee jerk conservative side moving forward for obvious reasons.

Sorry for your loss. I already ordered my hops. So Now knowing this I'll deffently take extra procausions not to let the dog encounter the plants.. Does hops need go good amount of light. I read about people tying them to trees. I would asume that would be a shady area. And once again, man that's a sad thing to hear about a loss of a mans best friend. But all dogs go to heaven bro.. Even if they o.d on hops..

Every story I've heard about dogs and hops has been urban legend until now. Sorry about your dog.

As I said earlier its better to be precautious, but it is still possible. Even a deer/animal fence could work. My dogs show no interest. Three years now, no fences no problems.

Having said that, sorry for your loss.

I just had my Rhizome start poking out of the ground and my dog ate half of them. I should clarify: my wife's dog. Not quite sure how I plan to replant, butmaybe I'll just have to grow them in the front yard.

The sprouts of hops are edible from what I read. People cook them like asparagus. I do not know if it will harm dogs or other wild life or humans. Hops are being researched as a natural dewormer for livestock.

Dogs will eat spent hops if they smell the wort. Most accident s happen this way. The dogs could eat hops accidentally when chewing the bines.

Back