Doesn't storing yeast in fridge cold crash inactivate it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspock

Reaction score
I've harvested some yeast slurry, and put it in a pop bottle in my fridge.

But doesn't the cold inactivate the yeast, like a cold crash?

It’s sleeping. It will wake back up when you warm it up and feed it.

I guess there's the part I don't understand. With Cold crash, the yeast stays dormant after warming up, doesn't it?

The two situations seem similar, but unfold differently.

What am I missing?

I guess there's the part I don't understand. With Cold crash, the yeast stays dormant after warming up, doesn't it?

What am I missing?

nope

cold crash does not kill the yeast. It stops eating and producing CO2 and flocs out of suspension. When it warms back up if there is oxygen present it reproduces and if no oxygen present but food available it starts eating. Think about the refrigerated packs of liquid yeast...same deal.

What am I missing?

Yeast doesn't stay dormant. Even if you cold crash and bottle, there is still enough yeast in suspension that when it warms up, it'll start eating the sugar to carb up the beer.

The purpose of the cold crash is to get as much trub to settle out of the beer as you can before you keg or bottle it. There will still be a lot of yeast suspended to carbonate in the bottles and as soon as you feed it and let it warm the yeast will go back to work.

Back