Does Yeast Remember?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
I have some gigayeast 054 that I used for a batch a while back. I harvested and washed it the best I could. Still had some trub in what I was able to harvest.

It was an ok beer, but I pitched at 74*, probably should have pitched lower. It fermented in the low 70s. It is within ferm range, but I think it pulled more esters than I would like.

Question, if I use it again and this time pitch in mid to high 60s and ferment in mid to high 60s, will it produce less esters? Or is the yeast tainted from the initial batch fermenting in the higher temp range?

Also, with some of the trub from the last batch still present in the container, will it cause different flavors from a new recipe than if I had fresh yeast from a new pack? Should harvested yeast only be used for the same recipe again?

Yeast only remembers the bad things you did to it , just like your????? Anyway, you can use that repitch on any recipe you feel it would work with. And no the esters won't follow. Those esters are put out thru the cell membrane when stressed,or with some , just because they do. When I have a saved batch from "awhile back" I'll take ~ 1 qt from the BK after 10 min and chill it and pitch onto the saved yeast for a vitality starter and pitch all of it at high krausen( decant the old beer off the saved batch).

Back