Does Tube Size Matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I'm going to use a canister/cartridge filter to push beer thru from secondary keg to serving keg. I was curious if anyone has any input about the size of tubing. Are there any benefits to using larger ID line to and from the filter?

Last edited:
shouldnt be... the limiting factor will be the filter material not the line diameter if its reasonably sized... I used regular 3/16 beer line. this might be obvious to you but remember to put the pump BEFORE the filter. Stupid me used a self priming pump and thought it didnt matter...

shouldnt be... the limiting factor will be the filter material not the line diameter if its reasonably sized... I used regular 3/16 beer line. this might be obvious to you but remember to put the pump BEFORE the filter. Stupid me used a self priming pump and thought it didnt matter...
Using CO2 - not a pump. I was all set to order 3/16" line out of habit. When I went to order the swivel flare adapter the 5/16" barb popped up and got me thinking; would that be better? Why not 3/8"? Or 1/2"?

I read comments about O-rings on filter housings failing and spraying beer everywhere. I was just wondering if using bigger line would help? Mainly I was wondering if using bigger line would drop the pressure to a point where the CO2 pressure won't push it thru the filter?

Last edited:
Are you using MFL fittings? Never seen a 1/2" barb on MFL.

If it's a closed system, there should be no concern of a pressure drop. A bigger ID could transfer faster but you will have restrictions on the diptube and each keg post that will limit flow. I've used 3/16" and 1/4" tubing since those fit well onto 1/4" and 5/16" MFL barbs. That could be worth an experiment to see if it makes a difference.

Are you using MFL fittings? Never seen a 1/2" barb on MFL.

If it's a closed system, there should be no concern of a pressure drop. A bigger ID could transfer faster but you will have restrictions on the diptube and each keg post that will limit flow. I've used 3/16" and 1/4" tubing since those fit well onto 1/4" and 5/16" MFL barbs. That could be worth an experiment to see if it makes a difference.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/fflbarb12.htm

I'm going to start with 5/16" I think. I might try bigger later depending on how this goes.

im transferring right now through a 80micron filter, by co2, with 10psi pushing through filter into serving keg with a spunding at 5-6psi. a bit slow but its going.

1/4" lines. the psi differential is going to make a bigger impact than tube diameter.

Back