Does this washed yeast look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I racked my beer and swirled in a half gallon of water on top of the yeast cake. Then I let it settle for half an hour in the carboy. I decanted into a half gallon growler. I let that settle for another 45 minutes and then I pour into 3 pint sized mason jars. I don't see more than two layers. The little jar has been in the fridge for a week and the growler has been full for over a half an hour. Is the yeast and the trub just not seperating for some reason or do I just have a lot of yeast. The little jar is US-05 and the growler is 1056. Thanks for any feedback!

SHANE.jpg

That looks like a lot of trub to me. I'm still new to the whole yeast washing process and just went through a very similar ordeal. I had ALOT of trub from my IPA. It took 3 washings for me to get it to just yeast. It's hard to see from this picture, but it looks like in the smaller jar there is a tiny layer of yeast on top. Maybe the thickness of half a pencil thickness.

When you say you decanted for 45 minutes and than poured into another jar. You only poured off the liquid, not the trub at the bottom?

I poured the brown liquid on top and half of the creamy liquid into two pint sized mason jars. Was I only supposed to decant the little layer of brown liquid on top into a mason jar?

In short, yes. From what i've learned, that is all hops/dead yeast that will settle out. Usually within about 20-30 minutes you should see all the trub setttle. Then only pour off the liquid, nothing else. Cold crash that over night, and in the morning you should see nice white yeast layer.

Back