Does this stout recipe seem okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
OG - 1.045
FG - 1.011
IBU - 31
SRM - 40
ABV - 4.4

2lbs Amber DME
3lbs Dark DME
.25lbs Black Patent - Steep
.5lbs Carafa III - steep

1oz Goldings 5% @ 60
.5oz Goldings 5% @ 15

WLP001

This was meant to be a cheap batch using what was laying around. Well, except for the grains which I grabbed earlier from a store that has a few supplies. They were pretty slim as these were the only grains they had on hand.

Should I up the grains and/or hops any? Any other ideas? I've got plenty of Goldings and .5oz of Saaz. I've also got Victory but don't think that really applies. ;)

Thanks

I would say add chocolate, but if you are using basically what you have around, I think it is going to produce a dark beer...but I dont think it will contain the body of a stout...But then again, I am thinking creamy stouts...it may well make a relatively light dry stout.

But, as SporkD2 said, you'll definitely have beer :)

I would say add chocolate, but if you are using basically what you have around, I think it is going to produce a dark beer...but I dont think it will contain the body of a stout...But then again, I am thinking creamy stouts...it may well make a relatively light dry stout.

But, as SporkD2 said, you'll definitely have beer :)

Yeah, I wish they had some chocolate malt. :( I've got some cacao nibs leftover from my Founder's breakfast clone that are tempting to throw in but I may just keep it as a simple dark beer of sorts.

Is your Old Stock Ale a clone or is that just what you are calling it? I loves me some OSA. Is the recipe online anywhere?

Thanks er'body. :mug:

Yeah, I wish they had some chocolate malt. :( I've got some cacao nibs leftover from my Founder's breakfast clone that are tempting to throw in but I may just keep it as a simple dark beer of sorts.

Is your Old Stock Ale a clone or is that just what you are calling it? I loves me some OSA. Is the recipe online anywhere?

Thanks er'body. :mug:

Let me check, it is a recipe I got from my LHBS and was an extract kit. It turned out really well. very unique caramel/toffee like nose and real smooth taste with a nice "almost-black but not quite" color. leveled out at about 6.25% and had excellent oaking potential.

It is Buzzard Bay Stock Ale recipe and if we can't find it online, PM me and I can give you the recipe.

also, I think poobah58 is correct, barley is what you were missing, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Let me check, it is a recipe I got from my LHBS and was an extract kit. It turned out really well. very unique caramel/toffee like nose and real smooth taste with a nice "almost-black but not quite" color. leveled out at about 6.25% and had excellent oaking potential.

It is Buzzard Bay Stock Ale recipe and if we can't find it online, PM me and I can give you the recipe.

also, I think poobah58 is correct, barley is what you were missing, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Ahh, then we'll just call this a Black Ale recipe. :D

I've not had Buzzard Bay. I was assuming it was North Coast Old Stock. Have you had this and are they similiar?

I have not. Unfortunately my experience with old ale or stock ale are rather limited. Black Ale does seem pretty accurate. I was calling it old stock because the LHBS owner kept referring to is as such. but meh.

I have not. Unfortunately my experience with old ale or stock ale are rather limited. Black Ale does seem pretty accurate. I was calling it old stock because the LHBS owner kept referring to is as such. but meh.

Either way, your description sounded tasty enough. I'm pretty easy to please. Was this extract or AG?

extract, but if I remember right it was just light LME so it wouldn't be difficult to change to AG.

I'm pretty much an extract brewer though I've dabbled with AG (won 3 silvers on my first attempt :D). I'm still happy sticking in the land of extracts though.

I'd love to take a peek at your recipe if you ever come across it. Don't go out of your way or anything. I'd just like to brew up an old ale sometime by fall.

Here is the recipe I promised.

Buzzards Bay Stock Ale,

Light Malt Extract (syrup) 8.8 lbs
Crystal 150 1lb
Black Patent 0.5lb

Hops
Target 6 aau 30min
Cascade 1 oz 15min.

this is for a 5gal batch

Latest posts

Back