Does this starter look okay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Made this 1L WYeast 2112 starter yesterday from harvested yeast. It's fermenting because when I give it a swirl, it foams up nicely, but I don't see three tiers of color in my other starters - only the light beige at the bottom and the darker wort on top. Here, I have a dark substance on the bottom, then the beige and then the wort. Think it's okay?

2112 starter pic.jpg

I think it looks okay. Looks like you could step it up a bit though depending upon your recipe.

I think you're fine. If you just started it yesterday and you are not using a stir plate, I would give it another day or two and it should be looking much better. That's the same way I do my starters and I usually don't see much activity in the first 24 hours.

What did you use for the starter? DME? I usually see some hot/cold break material that settles to the bottom - that might be the dark stuff you are seeing.

I have gotten a few brown speckles on the bottom of my starter. If the starter tastes fine after you decant it, then go ahead and use it. You should really use a larger vessel for a 1L starter. I have a 2L flask and my 800ml starter shot all the way up to the top. I'm using a stirplate.

I use a 1/2 cup of DME and 650 ML of water for step one. I shake it regularly since I don't have a stir plate. After another day, I will cold crash it for a couple days, decant and then do step 2, then cold crash. I'm not using until next week.

I always have a dark layer of trub / hot break at the bottom and just assume it's from DME. Never had an issue.

Back