Does this recipe look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
Attempting my first Cream Ale recipe i did up on Beersmith just looking to hear some feedback.
Thanks

Batch Size:*2.91 galStyle:*Cream Ale (6A)
Boil Size:*4.31 galStyle Guide:*BJCP 2008
Color:*9.0 SRMEquipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
Bitterness:*18.3 IBUsBoil Time:*60 min
Est OG:*1.050 (12.3° P)Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG:*1.012 SG (2.9° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single Stage
ABV:*5.0%Taste Rating:*30.0

IngredientsAmountNameType#
8.0 ozMunich Malt (9.0 SRM)Grain1
4.0 ozOats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain2
3 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain3
1 lbsCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)Grain4
1 lbsVictory Malt (25.0 SRM)Grain5
0.2 ozAmarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 25 minHops6
0.2 ozCascade [5.5%] - Boil 20 minHops7
0.2 ozGlacier [5.6%] - Boil 15 minHops8
0.2 ozCascade [5.5%] - Steep 0 minHops9
0 pkgsNottingham (Danstar #-)

It's a 3 gallon batch?

That's way too much Victory malt and crystal malt, and the oats are very odd in there but you can leave them in if you feel that they are a good addition. You've got 5.75 pounds of grain total, but only 3.5 of it is base malt and that is a concern. It should convert ok, but it is probably not an ideal way to make a cream ale.

Instead, I'd simplify, alot. I'd get rid of the victory malt totally (although I love it in many beers, with that wonderful 'toasty' flavor, it doesn't fit well with such a light beer), cut the crystal (or eliminate it), eliminate the oats, and consider using some adjuncts if you want the crisp finish of a typical cream ale. I like Munich malt a lot, but it's not usually something found in a light hybrid like a cream ale.

the hops (hopbursting) look more typical for a pale ale, but if that is what you want, a hoppy flavor and 'nose', then that would be good.

The recipe is nothing at all like a cream ale, but maybe you want something else? We can help you formulate something else if that is what you are looking for, of course, but as a cream ale it needs some modifications.

What Yooper said. Whatever you have there might be good but it's not a cream ale. If you are looking for a traditional type cream ale try something like 75% pale malt (domestic 2row or 6row), 25% corn (flaked maize) and 5% light crystal. The hop schedule should be modest and uncomplicated. If you want something old style try Cluster and Hallertau or you can use contemporary varieties like Cascade for the late addition.

4 lb pale malt
1.25 lb flaked maize
1/4 lb light crystal

Use your Cascade in two additions, one @ full boil for bittering and another ~15min for gentle flavor & aroma. Plug into Beersmith and shoot for high teens-low twenties in IBU.

Yooper is (of course) right on. I would ask the question of whether you are trying to brew a traditional, or "to style" cream ale. Pre-prohibition, these beers were stock ales mixed with an adjunct lager. Post-prohibition, they went the way of all American beers, and got watered down and sad.

Although she didn't mention it, Yooper has an AG cream ale recipe. It is what I would call a little un-traditional, as it has Marris Otter as the base and a little biscuit malt, but that will give you some nutty and toasty notes that you may be looking for. I have not brewed it myself, but it looks tasty! I would take a look.

NOTE: if you do decide to go the traditional route, I would highly recommend skipping the Cluster hops that would have been standard in an American cream ale. My first cream ale I used then for traditions, sake... They will give you a new meaning of "catty", IMHO.

Good Luck!

Also Nottingham yeast is going to make an ale with English characteristics. Some manufacturers make specific "cream ale" strains which I believe are usually a combination of clean (i.e. minimal yeast characteristics) lager and ale yeasts that should typically be fermented on the high side of the temperature spectrum for ale yeast (65-68F)

Hey thanks!! I appreciate the advice! What would you reccomend for adjunct?.

Also the hops i have on hand are .50oz of Galaxy,1oz Glacier,1oz Crystal,1oz Cascade,1oz Amarillo.

So i tweeked the recipe and this is what i have,any comments or suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Style:*Cream Ale (6A)
Color:*3.7 SRMEquipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
Bitterness:*19.7 IBUsBoil Time:*60 min
Est OG:*1.045 (11.1° P)Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG:*1.010 SG (2.5° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single Stage
ABV:*4.6%Taste Rating:*30.0

4.0 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)Grain1
5 lbsPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain2
4.0 ozCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain3
0.5 ozCascade [5.5%] - Boil 50 minHops4
0.2 ozCascade [5.5%] - Boil 10 minHops5
0 pkgsSafale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)Yeast

So i tweeked the recipe and this is what i have,any comments or suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Style:*Cream Ale (6A)
Color:*3.7 SRMEquipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIAB
Bitterness:*19.7 IBUsBoil Time:*60 min
Est OG:*1.045 (11.1° P)Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG:*1.010 SG (2.5° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single Stage
ABV:*4.6%Taste Rating:*30.0

4.0 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)Grain1
5 lbsPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain2
4.0 ozCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain3
0.5 ozCascade [5.5%] - Boil 50 minHops4
0.2 ozCascade [5.5%] - Boil 10 minHops5
0 pkgsSafale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)Yeast

If you're only going to use 4 oz of corn just leave it out. In that quantity it will have virtually no impact. The commercial versions were made with 30-40% but 15-20% gives a nice touch of corniness without stepping all over the base malt.

Would maybe rice instead of corn be a better adjustment to make?
Im looking to make a basic Cream Ale recipe with what I have on hand..
Grains 7#2row,1lb munich,1lbcrystal 10,1lb crystal40,2lb victory.
If anyone can help me create a basic cream ale would b awesome!

Your second version looks a lot closer to a cream ale. If you sub out one more pound of 2 row for rice or corn (your choice) I think that should get you there, and would be about 22% adjuncts.

Back