Does this look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick one, this batch of pale ale has been in primary for a week now and it started at 1.048 it's now Down to 1.011 but it's still got this layer on top, anything to worry about?

image-2521382151.jpg

Thanks guys that's good to hear!

Will the krausen always disappear at the end of fermentation? Or do you sometimes have to bottle with a layer on top like that?

alimacoz said:
Thanks guys that's good to hear!

Will the krausen always disappear at the end of fermentation? Or do you sometimes have to bottle with a layer on top like that?

Mine always drop. If it hasn't yet it probably means your beer is still actively fermenting, so it's not time to bottle.

Haha that's not mould that's the hop infusion bags that came with the kit

Sorry I should have mentioned that! I did wonder whether that looked like mould patches, there were two infusion bags, one is cascade and the other is williamete, hopefully this one turns out ok

It seems more weathered brewers recognized green mounds for what they were. For me that was a first time.

I was a bit worried about leaving the bags in there as it seemed like an ideal place for infection but I suppose if the infection has got that far then it's already in

Looks good. Sometimes yeast will just stick around like that. I have an ESB that has the same type of dough layer on it even though it is at FG. The yeast I used (1318) does it almost every time. If FG is stable, you can rack from under it, but personally, I'd wait til it drops and the beer begins to clear. Also, were those hop sacks from the boil? No biggie if they are, it's just hops so it's perfectly fine, but if they're from the boil you can always take them out before you chill your wort. Either way, your beer looks good!

Looks good. Sometimes yeast will just stick around like that. I have an ESB that has the same type of dough layer on it even though it is at FG. The yeast I used (1318) does it almost every time. If FG is stable, you can rack from under it, but personally, I'd wait til it drops and the beer begins to clear. Also, were those hop sacks from the boil? No biggie if they are, it's just hops so it's perfectly fine, but if they're from the boil you can always take them out before you chill your wort. Either way, your beer looks good!

Thanks i'm hoping this turns out well, it's only my third batch and my first time using any kind of hops at all, they came in the kit (fremantle pale ale) and the instructions said to make a tea with them and let them infuse for 10 minutes and then pour the "tea" into the fermenter with the kit and DME which is exactly what i have done, is there a better method than that?

Was this a 'kit and can' type kit where you add extract to pre boiled water, stir and pitch yeast? I'm not familiar with how those kits actually work, I've never brewed one. A general extract kit (from places like Midwest and AHS) will have liquid or dry extract, or both, some steeping grains for color and flavor, and some hops pellets for the boil. You steep the grains in ~150 degree water for ~20-30 mins, add extract and boil (generally for an hour) adding hops at designated times, then cool to ~70, add any top up water and pitch yeast. That's the basic process of any beer, the 'kit and can' kits are different. From what I understand, they just require you to add extract (sometimes pre hopped) to boiling water, in your case also add hop tea (never heard that before), cool and pitch.
Check out the stickies in the beginners and extract brewing forums here on HBT. I'm sure there's a much better explanation than my rambling. :mug:

alimacoz said:
Sorry I should have mentioned that! I did wonder whether that looked like mould patches, there were two infusion bags, one is cascade and the other is williamete, hopefully this one turns out ok

I don't know what the infusion bags are.It seems like a dry hop,my understanding is you will lose most if not all dryhop aroma if you don't wait till fermentation has finished.

could always swirl the bucket/carboy a bit, it'll help things drop out, but if it's only been a week. give it another week or two before taking another peek. DONT DO IT! ;)

Hi guys,

Just a quick update about this kit, it's been in the bottle for 6 days and a chilled one down last night and I can already say that it tastes amazing!!

I really can't wait to taste this after a month!

Back