Does this look normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt480

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first batch and I am a newbie so go easy on me will ya? :) With that said, pitched yeast on 8/5 had a TON of bubbles for approximately 2 days. I went on vacation and now there are no bubbles. Does this look normal?

I appreciate your feedback. What is the stuff on the side of my primary? Bubbles = fermentation? Next step is to go to secondary tomorrow for another week or two but wanted to illicit feedback prior.

Thanks

http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/1/2/7/8/3/6/thumb1_photo-56068.jpg

That looks normal. Bubbling in the air lock is an indication of the start of fermentation. The only sure way to know if the fermentation is complete is to take a gravity reading. There can be activity in your air lock after fermentation is complete, it's called off gassing.

Mrkirbcheck said:
That looks normal. Bubbling in the air lock is an indication of the start of fermentation. The only sure way to know if the fermentation is complete is to take a gravity reading. There can be activity in your air lock after fermentation is complete, it's called off gassing.

The stuff on the side is krausen, it's a layer of yeast that forms on the top of the wort during fermentation. Relax, It'll turn out okay!

I am wicked glad I looked at this picture. I just did my very first brew Saturday. If I opened it up and it looked like that, I would be very concerned also!

Alright, time for an update, 3 weeks down and these babies have been bottled and are carbonating. Batch #1 is officially done. I've already brewed batch #2 some Long Tail Kolsch (sort of like a 4 peaks sunbru for those of you familiar) and it's sitting in my primary now. Here are some observations for you first timers from a first timer turned 2nd timer :p

1) The first batch is probably fine. If it looks suspect it's probably fine and better yet, if it tastes good it's definitely fine :)
2) Bottling is a massive pain. I've brewed one batch with 24 24oz bottles and solo filling, capping, boxing etc is a pain. I would highly recommend you buy a corney keg. It looks much easier to facilitate the brewing process.
3) As exciting as brewing is, I'd highly recommend you don't tell me about your home brew, not the first batch anyway (except for us forum goers). It would appear i've already promised have my family a bomber :p

Broken Pint Golden Ale (Lager) is in the bottles.

Cheers!

BEER.jpg

Latest posts

Back