Does this look normal with pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronicking

Reaction score
I brewed this beer around 4 hours ago. It was from a coopers extract kit with DME and dextrose and Nottingham ale yeast. I pitched the Nottingham ale yeast dry. Also when I pitched the Nottingham ale yeast the wort might have been a little warm still but I am pretty sure it was in between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.The beer has a white dusty looking ring on top and I was wondering if it was normal.

Thank you

WP_000032.jpg

WP_000033.jpg

WP_000034.jpg

4 hours in- not much bad could even happen yet. Beer is actually hard to screw up - relax and such.

That is personally what I thought too but I thought I would post it just to get some other opinions. I doubt anything bad would be growing after 4 hours.

Don't sweat it, like the others said could be yeast, maybe hops if you used pellets. Also that temp for Notty is fine... very resilient strain, clean too if at lower temps!

Rehydrating yeast is a good idea- much better fermentations with more healthy yeast, but your beer will be fine if all else is equal, as they say.

What temp is it now?

If you use Nottingham above 68*F (as measured on the fermenter, not ambient air), get ready to taste some funky off-flavors. It handles cooler (down to 55*F) just fine, but it does not tolerate warmer temps well at all. It's almost like a hybrid yeast that way.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was reading around and saw that earlier when I was at work and it was little to late. It fermented for the first 2 days with a lot of blowoff at maybe 77F if lucky. I am not too picky with my beer although (drinking keystone till next batch is carbed) So hopefully it will be okay.

Latest posts

Back