Does this look like mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
The film on top of my secondary is something I am familiar with, but this looks a bit funkier than I am used to. I added pureed and heated nectarines and boiled lemon iced tea my wife didn't like. I thought I killed all bugs.
20200630_155837.jpg
20200630_155910.jpg

Is it safe? I tried it last night, didn't taste off at all. Tasted like sweet tea in beer form.

Work started up again. So I'm making less money working almost as many hours. It's a total screw.
But I'm condensing brew days into bottling days. Had a boil over yesterday because I (out of habit) stirred my boil to try to get rid of the head on it.
That works with eggs and pasta. Not wort, dummy.

You been good?

drunk and confused......

i'd probably drink it myself, but i have little in the way of a self preservation instinct...... :mug:

(and i hope you take your work in stride and don't let it ruin your beer buzz!)

I tasted no souring, no diacetyl, no acetaldehyde. Could it be because I still use Baker's yeast?

I tasted no souring, no diacetyl, no acetaldehyde. Could it be because I still use Baker's yeast?

No, but it could be one of the reasons for the contamination.
I'd bottle it- BUT keep those bottles safe in a plastic bin. Maybe put one in a plastic soda bottle, to monitor any fermentation starting up.
It could be something as innocuous as brettanomyces (brett) which may give that classic brett flavor, or something like wild yeast that will ferment it completely.

No, but it could be one of the reasons for the contamination.
I'd bottle it- BUT keep those bottles safe in a plastic bin. Maybe put one in a plastic soda bottle, to monitor any fermentation starting up.
It could be something as innocuous as brettanomyces (brett) which may give that classic brett flavor, or something like wild yeast that will ferment it completely.
Screenshot_20200701-132156_Google.jpg

I will test it in a few days.
I actually bottled 12 1 liter Seltzer bottles. I ran out of bottle caps and started using my other love because I've always got Seltzer bottles. It's easy to tell when it's bottle conditioning because the bottle will feel pressurized.
I didn't want to risk this one with glass and if it's an infection, I don't want to let it safe more than a few weeks.

Thank you for the advice.

View attachment 687504
I will test it in a few days.
I actually bottled 12 1 liter Seltzer bottles. I ran out of bottle caps and started using my other love because I've always got Seltzer bottles. It's easy to tell when it's bottle conditioning because the bottle will feel pressurized.
I didn't want to risk this one with glass and if it's an infection, I don't want to let it safe more than a few weeks.

Thank you for the advice.
Be careful trusting those random online articles that provide zero scientific references. They tend to just regurgitate dogma, often incorrect. For example, there's no evidence that Lactobacillus forms a pellicle.

I agree with @Yooper to go ahead and bottle it. The beer turns out to be fine in the large majority of cases. Whatever it is won't harm you.

Are we sure this isn't mold?
This is in all the plastic bottles I fill
20200704_003445.jpg
20200704_003430.jpg
ed.

Not mold. But definitely a pellicle.
Drink them if they taste good. When they get too sour to drink, consider using it as 'malt vinegar' if it gets that way.

I tossed half of them in the fridge to cold crash and will probably The same to the rest of they taste good.
Will that keep them from souring?

I tried stepping up yeast from a couple of Chimay bottles and it looked exactly like that after about the fourth step up. If you let it go long enough, those white, powdery bubbles take over the entire surface and form a pellicle. If you swirl them around and try to make them floc/sink, they just come back. The longer you wait, the more it grows.

I successfully grew the Chimay yeast, but I also successfully grew something like you have. My starter definitely tasted and smelled off, so I never ended up using it to brew with.

If I was you, I'd cautiously watch it and maybe drink (at your own risk). If it smells and tastes OK, it might be fine. Then again, I got food poisoning once and I'd trade the time and cost of a brew day not to feel that way again.

I'm drinking this batch very quickly. Some rough nights ahead.

I transfer half of my brew from primary to a racking vessel, then bottle from there.
Then add any adjuncts to my primary vessel. I call it secondary because it's a secondary fermenting but in the same vessel. It's worked well, but I didn't use frozen fruit, which I normally do.
I try to freeze and boil all fruit and boil anything else, including honey and sugar.

Back