Does this look any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat.sam

Reaction score
I am in the middle of brewing and I need help with my hop selection. Any advice would be great.

Basic Ale

Steeping Grains:
¾ lb Caravienne
¼ lb Dextrin (head retainer)

3 lb Amber DME
4 lb Light DME

.75 oz Cascade @ 60’
.5 oz Willamette @ 45’
.5 oz Cascade @ 5’

Thanks

I would move the Willamette to the 5 minute spot and move the cascade to 15, keeping the cascade at 60. The hop schedule is a little light for the gravity. If you have more I'd do something like this:

1 oz cascade 60
0.75 oz cascade 15
0.75 oz Willamette 5

Even that is not going overboard on the hops

If you want the bitterness like you had it, but are going for the Willamette flavor, try something like this:

1.5 oz cascade 60
0.75 oz willamette 15
0.75 oz willamette 5

Columbus is great all around. The AA% is higher so off the to of my head I'd say you only need 0.75 oz at 60 min, or add about 0.25 oz of columbus to the 1 oz of cascade at 60 and keep the willamette at 15 and 5.

If you bitter with just the columbus, you can split the 15 a 5 min additions between the cascade and willamette, maybe a half ounce each at 15 and 5.

As long as you get the bittering good at 60 minutes, you have tons of options for the flavor and aroma hops.

Latest posts

Back