Does salt effect bottle carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Hey all. Through the magic of beginner brewing and not having accurate markers on my kettle (looking at you bayou). I ended up with an extra gallon or so of a basic wheat beer wort. Fermenting with WL American hefeweizen.

When primary finishes I'm going to siphon off a gallon to try an experimental cucumber wheat. Knowing that cucumber plays well with salt, I'm thinking of adding just a little bit of sea salt just to the level of where you could taste it. What I'm wondering is does the addition of salinity even at this low level do anything to how my yeast will bottle carb this beer?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how it will affect carbonation but I do know that if will affect The head on the beer and the head retention

chemically, a lot of the additives we use are salts, but it is the intensity of the salt you are worried about. such as salt water vs fresh water.
but then salt water has a very basic salt.

What I guess I am saying, this is a hobby, if you want to find out if it will work try it. The really cool part is, if it does partially ferment, save that yeast and try it again, see if you can harvest and isolate, then propagate till you develop a strain that can do what you want.

I bet if you are willing to go off on a tangent, you can get what you want. it is just a matter of how many generations till you can condition a strain.

Latest posts

Back