Does rye malt have enough diastatic power to convert itself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
I have an all grain recipe that I am trying to convert to extract. Am wondering if I put rye malt grain in with the specialty grains and steep, will it convert and yield similar results as in the all grain recipe? I know I can get rye extract, but don't need the volume and would rather not waste the money and product. The all grain recipe is:

3.25 G batch, 70% eff

3.5 # Pale 2 row
1.625 # Rye Malt
1.0625 # Biscuit
.375 # Chocolate Malt 350L
.25 # Cara 60

Thanks!

Briess shows malted rye with diastatic power of over 100° Lintner. That's quite capable of self-conversion plus a decent load of unmalted grains...

1633558595832.png

Cheers!

Briess shows malted rye with diastatic power of over 100° Lintner. That's quite capable of self-conversion plus a decent load of unmalted grains...
Looks like they (link) updated their product information sheets earlier this year. I'm seeing SRM/Lintner that I didn't remember seeing a year ago. Looks like I should spend a little hobby time on a "fresh look" at their content.

Back