does roeselare eat pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownrice

Reaction score
Trying to decide on a recipe for 2nd generation pitch onto roeselare dregs. Not sure what I'm going for, just experimenting.

Ideally it's a partial mash, so I can brew something else on the same day. My thought process with the pumpkin is that it'll provide snax for the bugs if I just add it to the boil + primary. I'm also just trying to use it up, as I like the color more than the flavor of "pumpkin" beerz.

I have some wheat LME and xtra dark DME, and I'd prefer to use those instead of buying new ingredients.

And I expect the sacch is dead; long live the sacch. I could let the bugs take over or pitch some dry yeast to get it started.

5 gal batch:

3 lbs Munich
3 lbs wheat LME (Briess)
2 lbs xtra dark DME (Munton's)

mash @ 154*F for 60 min

1oz perle (8%aa) @60 min

ferment low 60's*F on a 2nd gen Roeselare yeast cake

any thoughts?

Hey neighbor (south NJ),

No experience with pumpkin, but it sounds really interesting, but I wouldn't get your hopes too too high with the result. Krieks and framboises work so well, IMO, because we're used to tartness in those fruits, and the flavors complement well. Pumpkins are meaty yet sweet with zero acidity; my prediction is if added in primary, the pumpkin-ness will largely be worked through and have no discernable impact on the finished beer. Also, I'm assuming pumpkins contain all simple sugars (fructose) so they won't provide long term consumables. Hopefully you end up with the 'honey effect': the sugars are easily consumed and no discernable flavor contribution. If the pumpkin flavor remains though, I'd be somewhat concerned with the taste of the final product. Interesting and worthy experiment though.

The extra dark DME worries me more but may help covering up the pumpkin flavor. Roselare is really versatile and the constant sour cherry note may play in well. I've always had atrocious luck with dark DMEs and am scared of whatever they use for roastiness and color. But YMMV. Again, worthy experiment, but if I was you, I'd save those two pounds for something else and sub in some Amber to help with the pumpkin color. I think you're gonna lose most of that pumpkin color with extra dark DME.

Please keep me posted with tasting notes.

-T

thx for the reply.

I think you're right on all counts.

My main question was about canned pumpkin being fructose or starch, and whether it needed to be mashed to be edible to bugs (as opposed to sacch, which is a big yes).

Basically I have a bunch of disparate ingredients and I'm trying to frankenstein something interesting out of it.

Specifically the Roeselare cake. I'm just looking for ideas besides Flanders Red and Oude Bruin.

Back